Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » 100% success in trial treating IBD with the SCD Diet

07-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Snoflayk505

100% success in trial treating IBD with the SCD Diet

Here is the study.
http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/02/umas...-sees-success/

I was told I can't post in peoples threads anymore about how the SCD diet and how it saved my life unless they ask for diet advice. I am devastated because this diet saved my life and nobody seems to want to listen and see that they too can be symptom free and med free too! sigh Literally in tears.

I understand people say it doesn't work for everyone (clinical study suggests otherwise), but I have yet to come accross anyone that it hasnt worked for. Also will post the clinical study done on the SCD diet treating IBD after I stop crying and find it So upset that I can't post to peoples threads begging for help and relief because they are not asking for DIET advice, sigh. We are never going to find a cure to this disease if nobody can get information to those that suffer. And we all know there are lots of people that really only post and read their own posts.

So, I am sorry if I annoyed anyone, I was just trying to help I welcomed back a quality of life I thought I had to say goodbye to a long time ago all thanks to this diet and I just wanted others to be healed too. I will stop trying to help people learn about this diet on this forum I guess. Was just trying to help
If anyone is interested in trying what gave me my life back, here is the link to the food list and beginners tutorial
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_a-c.htm

you know, if enough of us tried and succeeded with this diet we just might get somewhere in finding a real cure and showing how much diet really does effect IBD.

tears all day

Last edited by Snoflayk505; 07-11-2012 at 11:12 AM.
07-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Keepingfaith

Not everyone has the time to cook and follow the SCD Diet. Others can not follow the diet 100% because of religous reasons.

A friend of mine was put on the SCD Diet when he was 10. Although his symptoms were improved, he was admitted into the hospital a year later because he was severely depressed and felt he had no quality of life. Sometimes these types of diets are not right for everyone. I would much rather be admitted in the hospital for my CD than to be admitted in the hospital, at 10 years of age, for suicidal thoughts. Another friend of mine went on the SCD fully heartedly and was also depressed and ended up flaring in the end.

I'm sure some people appreciate your advice but the SCD isn't for everyone. Please don't take it personally! You have good intentions People on this forum, if anything, just want support. A lot of people have had this disease for several years and have tried and FAILED the Paleo, SCD & GF diet.
Entyvio
Prilosec
Protonix
Seasonique
Noritriptyline
Steroid suppositories
Canasa suppositories

Diet: Feeding via J-tube

DX: Crohn's Disease, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Endometriosis, Gastroparesis

Previous Medications:
Remicade- Drug Induced Lupus, Humira, Prednisone,
Entocort, 6MP, Methorexate, Amitriptyline, Asacol, Flagyl, Apriso, Cimzia, Cipro, Sulfasalazine etc. You name it, I've tried it.
07-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Snoflayk505

There are SO MANY recipe blogs out there, people just need to be informed that it isnt hard at all to cook these recipes that taste just as good as everything else. All you are doing basically is replacing processed flour with nut flours and sugar with honey, shouldnt be any harder than a typical American diet. Cooking for this diet I find is actually EASIER to cook recipes cuz they are so simple. It's just lack of knowledge in my opinion. Its because its so hard for anyone to get the word out there which I am experiencing right now.
07-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Snoflayk505

So, I guess I can post in peoples threads now after all now about the diet. They changed their minds.

I understand people are here for support and depressed, that is why I am trying to help them find a chance to be IBD free if they are one of the lucky ones the diet works for.
07-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry you are so sad about this but I'm glad to hear it helped you as much as it has.

For most people, change of diet is one of the hardest things to do. People find comfort in their diets and depend on those things when everything else around them is crashing down.

For others, they have probably already tried the diet route and it has not provided them with any relief.

Sometimes when you tell someone all they need to do is change their diet, it sort of trivializes their feelings and ends up doing more harm than good.

I believe everyone here at one point or another has tried everything there is or everything they are willing to do to improve their life. If they haven't tried one thing yet, they will get around to it when they feel they are ready. Or maybe never... and that is okay.

I think diet plays a big part in this disease, but as I said, we are all on our own journey and doing the best we are able to do.

Last edited by ctrl z; 07-11-2012 at 11:06 AM.
07-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Keepingfaith

That's funny because his mother made everything for him-from scratch. She stayed up every night until at least 3 AM to make his food. She baked him all the 'goodies' like brownies, cookies, even cake that was SCD legal. She bought all the books. Although it was very expensive, she still continued her son on the diet. It simply was not worth it for him. For anyone to justify suicidal thoughts just to physically feel better, in my opinion, is cruel. Also, please private message me the link to the study you mentioned where there was 100% sucess. I'm interested in the diet and would like to start it maybe at some point in my life but right now, that is not possible.

Also, just because you are feeling well does not mean that there is no inflammation present. I agree, diet does play a role in this disease. How can you explain though infants, as young as 8 months old, still breastfeeding, can develop Crohn's just from diet. You really can't. Infants aren't eating Big Mac's or pizza.
07-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Snoflayk505

The link is on my first post. Here it is again.

http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/02/umas...-sees-success/
07-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I understand that you are trying to get the word out, and trust me, a lot of us know about all these diets that are out there. It's not that no one wants you to get your story out there, but here in this forum, people are looking for support and compassion without someone coming along and telling them that all they need to do is change their diet and they'll magically be well. It isn't personal, its just that there is a place here to talk about diets. As said before, the diet is not for everyone. I'm really happy for you that it has helped you so much and you are feeling great.

Yes, the diet has helped alleviate some symptoms, but it is not a cure. I still had the disease and I still had flares, and I still ended up having surgery.

I hope you continue to have great success with the diet.

Sadie turns 2, 4/5/13!
07-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Snoflayk505

Keepingfaith I am not trying to argue or disagree or anything with you. I am simply saying that this diet worked for me and there is proof that it works for others. And infants are eating carbs, milk and sugar which breed bacteria and is the whole idea behind the diet.
07-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Kittee

I understand that you are trying to get the word out, and trust me, a lot of us know about all these diets that are out there. It's not that no one wants you to get your story out there, but here in this forum, people are looking for support and compassion without someone coming along and telling them that all they need to do is change their diet and they'll magically be well. It isn't personal, its just that there is a place here to talk about diets. As said before, the diet is not for everyone. I'm really happy for you that it has helped you so much and you are feeling great.

Yes, the diet has helped alleviate some symptoms, but it is not a cure. I still had the disease and I still had flares, and I still ended up having surgery.

I hope you continue to have great success with the diet.
This is how I felt when you posted about it in my thread. I made a post about being overweight and then you link me a study about dieting. yes, you didn't mean it that way, but that's how I took it.
07-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Snoflayk505

Sigh Im so sorry Kittee. I will stop posting on this forum. Just wanted to help. tears tears tears
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Snoflayk505

At first they told me I could post only post on diet related posts. I was just trying to listen to them. tears Im so sorry. I didnt mean to hurt your feelings. Im done really. I will take my experiences somewhere else
07-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
There is no need for you to stop posting on the forum! We would love to have you around. It's just that when people are just looking for sympathy or for someone to just understand what they are going through, telling them that diet will change everything for them just might not be perceived well.

We always appreciate advice on diets and things that work for other people, however, its not always the response that people want to hear when they just want a shoulder to vent frustrations.

I really do hope that you stick around.
07-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I am simply saying that this diet worked for me and there is proof that it works for others.
This is great, but when you push push push, nobody is going to listen.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
07-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
kiny

It's great that you're better.

I tried the SCD diet without success. I am sceptical of the diet because I don't agree with all the reasons in the book related to crohn.

The basic idea behind it (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that avoiding polysaccharides in favor of monosaccharides speeds up the breakdown of the sugars and avoiding what she calls waste in the intestine, left over from undigested duosaccharide, limiting bacteria exploiting the sugar. She tells people to avoid polysacchrides like rice, bread, spaghetti, and recommends monosaccharides like honey and fruit, That's the basic idea right?, been a while since I read the book.

There's a lot of holes in her theory I think, when they did tests they saw that monosaccharides aren't digested much faster polysaccharides, the difference was much smaller than the SCD diet claimed.

Many of the bacteria linked to CD, which could be causing the inflammation through excessive cytokine release from macrophages, don't need sugar, they're iron bacteria, they rely mostly on iron to survive. (they have tried iron depleting animals to kill the bacteria, it doesn't work)

So even though I want to believe in it, I tried it, it didn't work, and I can't get anyone to explain to me why it would work.

And don't stop posting, maybe people are overlooking things, maybe it does work but we don't know why yet.

Last edited by kiny; 07-11-2012 at 12:11 PM.
07-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
Snoflayk505

I have a wonderful husband. After drying my tears and holding me tight we talked and he helped me feel better. I just have this amazing passion to help people find relief because nobody should have to suffer like I have with this disease. I feel like I have been on my deathbed the last decade and I got a second chane when I found this diet.
Kiny
I can't speak for anyone else or the science behind the diet. All I can say is it worked for me and I hope it works for others too. That's all I was trying to tell people. To just try it and see what happens. What have we got to lose? With the increasing amount of people finding relief and starting recipe blogs and pinterest. It's everywhere so it is obviously working for alot of people.
07-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #17
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
As I said before, we really appreciate it!

It's not about what you are trying to get across to everyone, its just the delivery is all.

I don't disagree that it helps people, its just not for everyone.

Thanks for the article, I did read the study.
07-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #18
Jer's Girl

Everyone, I personally know Snowflake and I know that all she is trying to say is that this helped her and MAY help others. She just wants people to give it a try (if they are looking for something new to try-which she assumed people were if they were asking for help), and see if it helps them as much as it has helped her. She honestly has the worst case of crohns I have ever seen (and mine is pretty bad) and this diet has changed her life.

Perhaps it is the word "cure" that people take offence to. I assure you, she only uses that word to stress how much this diet has changed her life with Crohns, she is not trying to say that you will not have Crohns if you try this diet, only that it COULD help you as much as it has helped her, and that is what she wants for everyone.

She certainly didn't mean to offend anyone about their weight! She only uses the word "diet" because that is what all eating plans are. The food you eat is your diet. She and I just had a conversation about our Dr (we have the same one) always pointing out that the two of us have gained weight and it really offending us. We are not super skinny Crohnies either and both know that that can come with its own prejudices from Drs. who only think you can be sick if you "look sick" enough.

However, as a separate issue aside from crohns, IF you want to loose weight (not that you should have to- not talking to anyone in particular), I know that this diet has helped Sno lose about 15 pounds without trying. I am only adding that for those of us Crohnies who have trouble with our weight and want advice (like me!).

I personally am not following the same diet as Sno exactly. Everyone's Crohns is different and we all have to figure out what worked for us. BUT, thanks to this forum, we don't have to figure it out on our own! I am going to take a lot of advice from Sno about my diet, and I am for sure going to read her blog and try to learn from her experience. I am trying to go glutton free, and may work my way up to doing SCD as I feel my body is ready for that. I am so impressed with the progress she has had with it. This girl really has gone through Hell and is now doing great! Again, she is only trying to tell you what worked for her to give everyone one more option. I know I never give up trying to find something that works for me when nothing else has, and I appreciate her sharing her story.

Did I get it right Sno? Not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to help people understand your intention.
07-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #19
Snoflayk505

Thanks for sticking up for me Nicole
07-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
Snoflayk505

And it's 20 lbs that i lost! lol
07-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
Jer's Girl

Oh sorry, couldn't remember. That's great!
07-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
kiny

Would be interesting if the people (and I admit there's quite a few by now) who had success with the SCD diet (or any low carb diet for that matter) made a small list of the things they were avoiding now. (specific brands where you can check the individual ingredients)

I have always wondered if these diets didn't help because of the change in carbs, but because there is something in processed foods that is hurting the mucosal layer of people.

Say someone decides to stop eating carbs, maybe she stops drinking coke, maybe she stops eating candy bars, maybe she stops drinking from a contaminated source with some bug in it. (there's an interesting article about sucralose in the research section). At that point they aren't simply avoiding carbs, they are avoiding a lot of ingredients now found in processed foods and snacks.

Basically, I wonder if the success stories have anything to do with lowering carbs at all, and if it's just because they are avoiding some ingredient that is found in high carb snacks, maybe carbs has nothing to do with it at all, but they are avoiding something else by trying to avoid carbs. (this could also explain why it seems to work for some and not at all for others)
07-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #23
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I appologize that you felt like you needed to be stuck up for. I wasn't bashing you by any means. I actually said that I appreciated the information about the diet and your experience that you shared with us. I was just simply stating that the way you were going about doing it may not be perceived as well.

I am really happy that you are doing so well, I really am.
07-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #24
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Snoflayk505, there is no issue whatsoever in you posting on this forum and I fully understand your passion in passing on your knowledge and experience when you have found something that at last provided you with lasting relief. I hope it lasts a lifetime hun.

Please don't take what others experiences are personally. Unfortunately this disease is highly individual and that being the case the SCD diet doesn't work everyone. As mentioned in the link...the study was vey small and criteria very selective so the results do have the potential to be skewed.

I am the first to say the positive results that my daughter is having with diet, raw vegan, but I know full well that it would be impossible for many others here to follow it. We are more than happy to rejoice in your success hun and there are others here that are having the same success as you with the SCD, Paleo type diets, it's just unfortunate that for others they just don't cut the mustard and it's not through want of trying.

Good luck! May it keep on keeping on!

Dusty. xxx
07-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #25
Snoflayk505

You should read about the SCD diet Kiny. The website answers every question you have. In the SCD diet it is not only carbs to avoid but also yeast, starches, additives, in every day processed foods. Its actually not that hard. I live off of meat, aged cheeses, fruit, vegetables, nuts and honey. With those ingredients I create delicious GOOD FOR YOU breads cakes cookies etc... In my opinion the american diet is in need of a change anyways. Disease or no disease this diet sounds pretty darn good for you just because of the fact that it is 100% natural.
Im not aware of particular studies but I have heard all over that grains are proven to breed bad bacteria in our guts and cause many health issues for many people. I am ready to eat for my health, not for my comfort anymore. i love food more than anyone it seems lol. i just chose to put the right foods in my body now and my reward is symptom free
07-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #26
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am a huge food nut as well. I love cooking healthy things. I don't do 100% SCD anymore, but I do basically something similar to the Paleo diet. I eat very clean. Fruits and veggies are my favorite things to eat as well as chicken. I do feel better eating healthy.
07-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #27
Snoflayk505

Thanks DustyKat I was messaged by a moderator who told me not to post then changed his mind. Im a little embarrassed because I was so shocked that anyone thought i was doing something wrong. Of course I immediately over reacted and started balling lol. I am so anxious to enlighten people about diet being a key factor in controlling our disease that i tend to get a little persistent i guess in my passion. i was just so frusterated that nobody really cared to hear it and it did so many wonders for me and so many others.
I am so happy your daughter is having such success with diet Maybe the more people that share their story about diet being a factor, people can suffer a little less.
07-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
kiny

Right, I have the book and I'm with you on that.

I just think there's a chance it has nothing to do with the sugars the diet is avoiding.

If someone drank a diet coke and ate a candy bar every day, full of artificial sweeteners like sucralose, and that person now decides to avoid all carbs...the person might decide not to eat the candy bar and diet coke.

In the end it had nothing to do with avoiding carbs, the reason was that the person didn't use sucralose anymore, a side effect of wanting to avoid carbs and going on that diet.

If the people who go on SCD diets, started making specific lists of the food they avoid, with brands, so people can check the ingredients, it would be far more interesting.
07-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #29
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

Some folks are allergic to nuts even the nut flour and other ingredients mentioned in the SCD diet so that is one reason it may not work for everyone.
07-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #30
Snoflayk505

And Manzyb, I was taking offense to being stopped from posting my story to try and help others. i was so emotional that all i could see were tears. lol i over react a bit sometimes especially when im so passionate about it. You were so sweet on you replies and i appreciate your kind words

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » 100% success in trial treating IBD with the SCD Diet