• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Conflicting info

I have received the colonoscopy and met with the GI doctor and the initial feeling is that I have crohn's/colitis - something that I though were two separate issues although very much related. I am awaiting the biopsies (from the colonoscopy) and a CT scan, although the GI doctor has started me on prednisone (10 pills for a week and then down a pill until I am down to one pill for a week) because he states that the illness has established itself quite quickly. In my preliminary reading I understood that my diet should be low fibre although the GI doctor told me the EXACT opposite -HIGH fibre and no "garbage".
I am totally confused and not sure what to do as the doctors advise is very different then what I have been reading. I am wondering if this high fibre advise is due to the medication or to aid in the immediate healing.
I am interested in an insight that people may have. I know that getting in contact with the doctor would be best to clarify his logic, although its not always that easy.
Thanks

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum, I am glad you have decided to join :) With regards to the the diagnosis of crohns colitis this means you have crohns disease that has only been found in the large intestine (crohns disease can occur from the mouth to the anus).

The pred usually does a really good job at hitting the infammation going on inside the bowel so fingers crossed you will feel an improvement in symptoms soon, perhaps have a look at the sub forum for this so you can find more about it: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80.

Diet can be such a tricky area as the docs can't seem to agree whether it can help and if it does what you should/shouldn't be eating. Another thing you will find as you read through here is that everyone is different it what will work for them and that we can all have different 'trigger' foods. It is always worth startimg a food diary to you can keep a note of what you find aggrivates your tum. Common things to avoid tend to be things with nuts and seeds and for many caffiene. I myself was once told to follow a low fat/low fibre diet. If you are interested in looking further into the different diets and what others experiences are, then do check out the diet and sups forum: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17.

Do you have a follow up appt booked yet with the GI do confirm the results and to talk about the plan of action going forward? I will be keeping fingers crossed that you can be feeling better soon.

AB
xx

I was diagnosed with Crohn's colitis but it has since moved into the small intestine as well. I find that I need to eat some fiber--just not a lot. A food diary is the best thing to keep so you'll know what foods set you off. Good luck and spend time checking the forums out. There is so much great information.

Trysha

Staff member
Soluble fibre is the usual one recommended, such as metamucil, inulin fibre etc
Oatbran consists of soluble fibre and a half cup a day is usually adequate. You may prefer porridge oats similar fbre.
Keeps the intestinal content flowing smoothly, but don't overdo it.
Avocados are also a source which you might prefer.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha