• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In Hospital... help?

Hi All, was admitted to hospital on Friday last week, with the worst Crohns pain of my life! Had more bouts of pain since. Been on Hydrocortisone (sp?) On a drip and antibiotics to stop any risk of abcesses. (Still to be confirmed) waiting on CT scan results. Just been told this morning that I will be continuing with my Pentasa treatment, 4g a day, and starting with Azathiaprin (sp?) And Prendisolone steroids, any thoughts about this, cause I really want to be home! And I really want to feel better, has anyone had this combination and did it help, they've told me that I won't be home till Tuesday :(
I'm a fed up girly today! :(

Sorry to hear your in hospital!
The azathioprine is quite a common maintenance drug for crohns, they are probably thinking that as you are in this much pain, the pentasa isn't enough to keep you in remission. I have done well on aza, and a lot of other people have too so hopefully along with the steroids it can give you some relief! Good luck with the test results, hopefully you will have some answers soon!
x x

David

Co-Founder
Hi Holly,

I'm so sorry to hear of your flare and hospitalization :( You poor thing.

*hugs*

As LMV stated above, Azathioprine is commonly used. It can help induce remission and keep you there. The prednisolone should work fast as well. That's a steroid that will likely knock the inflammation down fast. As it can take up to a few months for the Azathioprine to kick in fully, it's nice to have that bridge.

We have a subforum dedicated to azathioprine located here where you can connect with others on it. You'll see people discussing Imuran (brand name version of Azathioprine) and 6-MP (what azathioprine turns into in the body) so they're your med buddies as well.

I hope you feel better soon! :)

Yes the prednisone will help pretty quickly to help the inflammation. As far as how fast you go home really depends on your test results. I was just recently released from the hospital after 12 days because I went in for extreme pain and they found a small bowel obstruction and bleeding. I had to have a blood transfusion. Hopefully you do not have that and you can get it under control faster. But it just depends. Less than a month before this recent stay I was hospitalized for pain once again and they found a fistula, I was only there for 3 days for that one but they changed me from pentasa to remicade. Still waiting to see how that is going to work out since it can take some time. I hope you feel better soon!

Hello Holly

Sorry to hear you've been in such bad pain. I was on a combination of Azathioprine and Pentasa for 7 years and it kept me pretty much in remission. I think it was the Azathioprine that actually did the work, when I stopped taking the Pentasa it didn't appear to make any difference.

Hope you're feeling a lot better and are out of hospital or soon will be

Regards

Nigel

Update: Now had ECG for dangerously low potassium levels in the blood and an irregular heartbeat :/ on an 8 hour drip and pottasium tablets, feeling pretty down now :/ its just one thing after another... Suspected Abcess in Colon to be confirmed on Monday! Hmph :( :(

Hello again Holly

I know what you're going through so my thoughts are with you. It does get frustrating over the weekend when you go into "doctor" limbo and have to wait for the ward round on Monday to get an update. Keep the updates coming

Regards

Nigel