• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Family History of Crohn's

Hi All,
New to the Forum, not so new to Crohn's. My Mother was diagnosed since her teens. so i have heard of the illness since childhood and saw her deal with it all. Since grade school i have had severe abdominal pains, i can remember the only way to get a little comfort was to double over. as I've grown the pain and other symptoms slowly and gradually too. Initially the Dr.'s Thought i had Stomach ulcers and prescribed me prevacid, which i took for a year daily and it did not really help the symptoms, so i just lived with it and dealt with the pain until it felt like the new normal. We continued thinking it was ulcers even though i never had a stomach scope done to check for ulcers. My mother started to suspect and tell me that she thinks i have Crohn's but i would tell her no its not that. My mother is one of those that likes to diagnose herself with many illnesses besides the Crohn's, and as well as her children. So the years have passed and I've for some reason continued to think it was just stomach ulcers still. but still the pain just getting worse and other bowel problems starting happening. about halfway through my wife's pregnancy I decided to go see my Dr. and do something about these stomach ulcers. well he sent me to see a gastroenterologist, And i went for the initial consultation and talked about what we were going to do. well by the time my appointment for the stomach scope our son was born. and he was born with heart problems that required open heart surgery at two months old, so needless to say my issues were pushed to the back. Our son did great and was home 10 days after his surgery. has no more issues and no future issues. During that time frame from around getting ready for the baby, having baby,finding out baby is not healthy, to baby needs open heart surgery. as if being a new father is'ent stressful enough. My stress level was over the top! The pain was so bad it was more like flare ups coming and going but after our son came home and we knew he was healthy now it just kinda settled down. so i went back to work offshore doing construction 2 weeks gone from home and 2 weeks at work well the pain starts up out there in the middle of the gulf of Mexico i'm just stuck. so while i'm home this time i went and saw a new General Physician and told him my family history and the issues I've been having for almost half my life and he told me that with all i told him he does not want to diagnose me in his office but he felt like it was probably Crohn's disease. to he referred me to another gastro to do a colonoscopy in August. So That is where i am now just waiting and going through the motions. Found this Forum and thought it will be a good resource for me.

My Story
Dustin B

David

Co-Founder
Hi Dustin and welcome to the community. Thanks for sharing your story.

Based upon your family history and your symptoms, I think there is indeed a decent chance you might have Crohn's. At the very least, they need to figure out what's going on once and for all as you deserve to feel healthy.

Congratulations on the baby by the way and I'm glad his surgery went well. That must have been so scary!

Again, welcome. We're here for you anytime you need us.

Angrybird

Hello Dustin and welcome to the forum, I am very pleased to hear your little one is now doing well :) I agree that it might well be you have crohns and it's good that the doc is sorting some tests out, whilst a colonoscopy is not the most pleasant of things it can be very good at showing what is going on inside. Also do check out our undiagnosed sub forum as there is a great bunch here to also have a chat with: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75.

Please keep us updated on how you are getting on.

AB
xx