• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns vs. UC

I was diagnosed with crohns when I was around one or two years old. I am now 16. My diagnosis has been going back and forth between crohns and UC. Last December I got really sick (during Winter Break so almost no missed school for me BOO!) I am partially homeschooled now, taking half my classes online and half at school. Anyways, I was finally put on prednisone, which brought my weight back up from 75lbs. to my normal 98lbs. And was put on 6-mp which did nothing but give me the side-effect of hair loss, along with Humira which I have been on for several years for my psoriasis. I am starting to get in a flare-up now, and I am scheduled for an MRI on Monday. Recently I have been trying to eat healthier and control my colon problems with diet, which I have not been successful at.

Sorry this was kinda all over the place. :)

Angrybird

Hello Tori and welcome the forum :) I am sorry to hear that your tum is acting up again, I take it you are still on the Humira/6-mp combo? What has made your docs think that it may be UC and not crohns? With regards to diet what have you tried and was it no successful because you found it hard to stick to or because you still had problems with your tum?

Am glad you have decided to join hun, there is lot of info an support here for you.

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi Tori and welcome :)

I'm sorry to hear you're in a flare right now :( I was wondering the same as Angrybird above, which specific medications are you still on? And what diet have you been trying?

Again, welcome to the community!

Yes I am still on Humira and 6mp, and when I remember I take a probiotic, not a very good one just the Phillips colon health brand, when I finish the bottle I think I will go back to the Floramore brand, it has a pretty bad aftertaste but I think it has more cells/probiotic power.

I have cut out soda and a lot of sweets, and added more fruit, even though fruit has been a major 'No' food I just really love the taste of fruit and it is worth having a bad colon over (that probably sounds awful). I am a firm believer in if you put good in you will feel great. Last night I made a quinoa salad and some fish. I did have a few cramps after, but not to terrible.

Oh and Angrybird, I am not really sure what makes them go back on crohns and UC. Being a kid, no one really tells me much. If I am correct, which I am probably not, I thought crohns was just a more severe inflamed colon, and Ulcerative colitis was just the upper portion of the colon?