• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Short time lurker

First I want to thank you for having this forum. This has been such a great asset these past few months while I've been having all these tests done. So thank you all for being here.

I meet with a GI doc for the first time later this month. I'm a bit nervous. At this point I just want to know what's wrong.

It started with abdominal pain very low on my right side. I dismissed it as gas but it stayed for a couple days. Then I had a very bloody stool and it scared me into going to urgent care after work that day. They almost rushed me to the ER to get my appendix out, but I wasn't in that much pain, and when I told them my Uncle had Crohn's they decided to do some tests and ruled out my appendix.

After a few docs, blood tests, an ultra sound, and a CT scan they still don't know what's wrong. The pain settled in my back, then went away. Then it cycled again from my front, to my back, and ebbed away again. It's done that a handful of times. Usually the front pain is sharper than the back. I haven't had pain for a couple weeks, and it's almost disappointing since I know if they want to do a colonoscopy it would be better if I was experiencing more symptoms.

After thinking of all the things I've had wrong with me in the past few years I just don't know what's a symptom and what's not. I would dismiss it as IBS but I have a near constant fever, and I don't think that's part of IBS. I guess at this point I would like to know what is Crohn's related, and what can I dismiss? I'd like to start keeping a food and/or sympton journal, but I'm not sure what to include. Here is everything that has happened within the last year, some have been going on since I was little (I'm 28 now, female, if that helps):

Headaches
Eye bumps (on whites of eyes)
Tonsil infections
Bumpy skin rash on upper arms and lips (psoriasis?)
Hives when warm
Chest Pains
Abdominal pain / lower back pain, right side
Bloating, distended stomach after eating (look pregnant)
Constipation
Small dark deer-poop-like stools
Near constant low grade fever
Changing joint pain: hands, wrists, hip, knee, toes (joints throb for a couple days then goes away)
Muscle quivers

Do any of these not fit with Crohn's and I can dismiss them from a food/symptom tracking journal? Some of them seem allergic in nature, so I didn't know if I could dismiss those.

Thank you all for your time, if not your responses. And thank you for just being here.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum, I must admit that quite a lot of the syptoms listed can occur in someone with an IBD like crohns. Even though your are not experiencing pain is is still worth continuing with tests such as a colonoscopy as this can give a good picture of what is happening inside. Biopsies can also be taken at this time so even if things look alrightish these can give a definitive answer.

Please do check out our undiagnosed forum as there is a great bunch of people here to also have a chat with: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75.

I hope all goes well with the upcoming appt, pls keep us updated on how you get on.

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

You'll see all of those symptoms mentioned here from time to time. Whether they're due to Crohn's Disease or not is anyone's guess, it's hard to tell the difference at times.

That you had blood in your stool and have an uncle with Crohn's makes me glad you're seeing a GI and yes, a colonoscopy is likely warranted. Hopefully it was just an acute infection though. But it's good to be thorough.

When do you see your GI?

We're here for you anytime you need us :)

I had my colonoscopy today. The doctor's notes say "your colon and terminal small interture are entirely normal. No polyps. No Crohn's." He also didn't schedule a follow up. At this point I'm either going to say it's IBS, it was a tear (from May) and is healed, or what the nurse mentioned in my consultation: since it seems worse around my cycle time, is that my severe constipation during my cycle is reducing the blood flow to my colon creating the pain I feel mainly during that time. However the prep really made my low back pain flare up, so I don't really know. I'll just keep watching it. Since it's not Crohn's I won't take up any more of your time, but thank you for being here!