Share Facebook

07-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
SherryLynn

Folic Acid

The dr added 1mg per day of Folic Acid. Says the aza tends to make the Folic Acid low. Am looking to get a bit educated on the subject and couldnt find somthing in the search options on it. (probally driver error). I couldnt find 1mg over the counter, I found 400mcg and 800. Is this like Vit D where you slowly build up to a range and can go toxic if you have too much. Or is this like my Vit B12 where If I take too much I will just pee it out? Am wondering if the 800 is close enough to 1000 to just do that or should I take a 800 with a 400.
07-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
When I was first diagnosed with UC my dr also told me to take folic acid. I was written a prescription for it since it's not found over the counter here in the U.S. After I got married my husband and I were visiting his family in Canada and I happened to find bottles of 1mg folic acid up there in bottles of 250 tablets. We try to get a couple of bottles whenever we go up to visit. You can also find an online pharmacy that'd probably sell it to you.

www.londondrugs.com

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
07-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
David
Co-Founder

Hi Sherry,

Folic acid (vitamin B9) is a water soluble vitamin like vitamin B12. As long as your kidneys are functioning well, you should excrete What your body doesn't need to utilize.

I wasn't aware that azathioprine can cause folate deficiency though. I know methotrexate can, but can't find any information stating that thiopurines do. Can anyone share a link about that? Thanks!
07-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
SherryLynn

maybe I got confused in the instructions the nurse gave me. The medicine she added to the mix is called Sulfasalazine 500mg. I have no idea what kind of class of drug this is, could this be one your talking about David?
07-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Sulfasalazine is a 5asa drug. I was put on sulfasalazine/azulfidine when I was first diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and was on it a few years until after I was married until it stopped working for me. Then, I was prescribed asacol and am now on pentasa. All 3 of these drugs are 5asa drugs which are supposedly less potent than some of the others prescribed. But, they are known to bring down your folic acid level and so that is why it's mentioned to start taking it with your meds. At least if I remember right...
07-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
David
Co-Founder

Cross-stich gal is correct, sufasalazine will bring down folic acid and supplementing it is a good idea. Ok, that makes much more sense as I couldn't find anything about azathioprine bringing down folic acid

Thanks!
07-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
CLynn

I could be wrong, David, but I thought that I read somewhere that the folic acid helps with the hair loss that goes along with Aza....not sure how that would work, so maybe I am remembering incorrectly.
Surgeries: re-section 2004
Currently taking: B-12 injections every 2 weeks, multi vitamin/mineral, fish oil (1000 mg), D3 (5000 mg)

Also lucky enough to have psoriasis as well.
07-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
David
Co-Founder

Could be Cheryl. If you come across the source again, I'd love to read about it. Thanks
07-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
SherryLynn

CLynn I see you also take 1mg Folic Acid. Im having trouble finding that exact amount OTC, is yours perscription? Im finding 400mcg and 800mcg but not 1000mcg or 1mg
07-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Neko76

My Support Groups:
Another option could be just to pick up some pre-natal vitamins. My doc recommended that I just continue with my pre-natal vitamins even though my son is now 10 months. I just checked the label and they contain 1000mcg (1mg) of folic acid (Jamieson brand). You could check with your doctor if that's okay, if he for some reason can't just write you a script.

Good Luck,

Kat
07-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
ZM1019

My GI told me to take 1 mg of Folic Acid a day when she put me on Pentasa because it can cause a deficiency. I told her it was in my vitamins for hair, skin and nails and my multivitamins. She told me if it wasn't 1 mg to take more until I reach that. So I would say if it's in the vitamins for hair, skin and nails (that I've taken for years), it probably does help with hair loss.

I just added it up and I'm already taking 800 mcg a day between the two. I've probably been overdosing for years! Good thing it's water soluble.
07-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Here's a few places you can find folic acid online if you're having a hard time getting a prescription for it. Hope this helps. Lisa

http://www.londondrugs.com/results.a...20folic%20acid

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...id%2Caps%2C329

http://www.drugstore.com/search/sear...A47r7x1jcpY%3D

http://www.prescriptiongiant.com/fol...et-p-2273.html
07-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
SherryLynn

Thanks for the links that helps alot. I am thinking that here in the US the 1mg is by percription only. Maybe I should just take an 800+400 , im doubting 1200 would be a bad idea.
07-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
David
Co-Founder

Maybe discuss the idea of taking 800mg once a day and a B complex once a day with your doctor. It's very rare that anyone tests for any B vitamin deficiencies besides B9 (folic acid) and B12 but I suspect Crohnies are occasionally deficient in the others as well. And the University of Maryland Medical center actually recommends a B complex if you're going to take any single B vitamin for awhile:
Taking any one of the B vitamins for a long period of time can result in an imbalance of other important B vitamins. For this reason, you may want to take a B complex vitamin, which includes all the B vitamins. Taking folic acid at high doses can hide a vitamin B12 deficiency, so these vitamins are often taken together. Talk to your doctor before taking more than 800 mcg of folic acid.
Source
07-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #15
SherryLynn

thanks David, good write up.
09-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Me and my GI had a similar discussion yesterday. According to my GI, 6-MP (mercaptopurine) also has the potential to drain folate reserves in your body. He suggested that the amount I get out of a multivitamin or over-the-counter bottle may not be enough and wrote me a prescription for 1mg folic acid. I am currently awaiting the results of a blood test to determine my folate levels. I also got my B12 levels re-checked.

My pharmacist says that they do sell some folate over-the-counter by itself, but at 1mg, it is a prescription dosage and too high to put on the shelves.

I understand it is part of the B-complex family and symptoms of folate deficiency can mimic iron or b12 anemia. I am borderline deficient in both iron and b12 and while I do already supplement for those two things, I wonder if the folic acid will help me as well.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)