• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Night sweats, mouth ulcers.

Did you have night sweats, mouth ulcers or both?

• I had both night sweats and mouth ulcers

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I only had either one

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I had none

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

kiny

If you're someone who has crohn's disease, did you at any time have night sweats, mouth ulcers or both (not necessarily at the same time).

If you had night sweats, can you explain what they were like, did you have high fever at the same time and how long did they last?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I do not hav ea diagnosis at this point so not sure what I say applies. However, I did have night sweats but don't anymore even though I'm untreated. When I had the night sweats, I don't know whether I ran a fever but probably not. They lasted for a few hours at a time and then a few nights in a row before going away. I never made the connection to my bowel symptoms until the GI asked about night swetas when I saw her last May. I never had mouth ulcers.

I have night sweats almost nightly. It sucks. I get one ulcer at a time, but I'm not sure if it's related to Crohn's or just a normal thing.

As far as the sweats, I would wake up soaking wet and chilled. Have to change pajamas and sheets. Or move to the couch and deal with it in the morning.

Mouth ulcers.... I had them bad when I was a teenager before I was dx. I never had night sweats until this last flair. I woke up and thought I was going to melt into a puddle. My PJ's were stuck to me and I had to chage the bed sheets as they were realy damp. I turned a floor stand fan on and just sat there for a good hour. My poor husband froze, but he didn't say anything. I realy don't want to have any more of them. One thing I do notice is that when I get a few mouth uncler at a time.... I know to get the prednisone ready!

Ive had night sweats the last 5 nights. I wasn't running a fever before I went to bed but I'd have to guess I was when sleeping. This morning was bad, my wife kissed me goodbye and was like ewwww your soaked. almost like I was running thru the sprinklers.
I also had mouth sores(none at the moment) but ones due any day now.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bj3ilo

I have had night sweats for many years with no explanation from doctors but now sinc being diagnosed with Crohns I assume it's related?

kiny

I have had night sweats for many years with no explanation from doctors but now sinc being diagnosed with Crohns I assume it's related?
Yeh. It happens in Tuberculosis too, there is extra TNF-alpha being released through macrophages in TB and it raises body temperature. They don't know why it happens at night though. They also see that people don't always know they have a fever but they do notice the night sweats, but the night sweat is the result of the body trying to regulate temperature during fever.

I had no idea that night sweats were even remotely related to Crohn's. I guess that makes sense. I will go through periods where I wake up with my sheets soaked every night. I am anemic and cold almost all of the time, except when I sleep. Does anyone know why the two are connected?

I have night sweats almost nightly when I'm flaring (which is constantly....no remission in sight). I've also battled some severe mouth sores. At times they've gotten so bad that I couldn't eat or talk. I was taken off of methotrexate because it was thought that it was exacerbating the mouth ulcers. My mouth has still never fully recovered from my last and most severe bout. The worst part is, the doctors seem stumped about what to do. I don't think there is much to do aside from the numbing mouth washes and creams that don't actually treat anything.

kiny

What's TNF-Alpha?
if your immune system is an army, TNF-alpha are the cavalry, they are first responders to signaling from the immune system, they are cytokine that can upregulate inflammation and they're release through macrophages, they don't know everything TNF-alpha does because it does multiple things, but it's really important to us

Before I was diagnosed with Crohn's, I had mouth sores, and I think I had sores in my esophagus, because it burned all the way down when I swallowed. But now that it's controlled with meds, I don't have either. I read in a book that Crohn's can manifest itself anywhere in the digestive tract, including the mouth.

Mouth sores and night fevers/sweats are my son's main symptoms. It is actually what put us on our journey to dx last year. Unfortunately, the ulcers returned 5 nights ago and the fever/sweats 3 nights ago, the fevers are usually low grade 99.5 -101 F. Oddly, these were his symptoms along with joint pain and feeling of food stuck in chest when swallowing(both of which has also started back up) long before the GI tract showed symptoms. His abdo pain/blood in bm was actually after the colonoscopy showed severe inflammation of the TI. I worry what this latest bout of symptoms indicate.