Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Hello Everyone !

07-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Col

Hello Everyone !

I was diagnosed with Crohn's back in 1993 at the age of 26. In 1996 when attending a seminar given by local gastroenterologists, I discovered that I actually had Crohn's since the age of 11. I have had many, many surgeries, and procedures. I have an ileostomy that cannot be reversed as my rectum has been removed as well due to recurring disease. I take Immuran as well as Remicade. As if the Crohn's wasn't bad enough, I think that all the other health issues that occur because of the Crohn's can be equally as bad. At this time, my biggest issues are the depression and the arthritis pain. It seems to never end. Always something new crops up. Being summer time, dehydration with this ileostomy is a big concern. I try not to think about having Crohn's. But who can forget. I am tired of feeling tired and sick. I am tired of people always thinking they have the cure for me. I guess I am angry about the whole thing. I am the only one in my family that has major health issues. And that upsets me too. Misery loves company. This is the first time I have ever spoken to any other Crohn's sufferers about any of this. So I suppose this is a positive move. Nobody can understand how it feels unless they have been there. So I hope to find others that can maybe laugh at themselves in the midst of all the problems. I try to.
07-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
David
Co-Founder

Hi there and welcome

I'm so sorry to hear of the trouble you're experiencing I can understand your anger and frustration.

With your feeling tired, depression, and arthritic pains, I'm curious, have you had your vitamin D and vitamin B12 levels tested? People with Crohn's disease are commonly deficient in them and they can lead to those symptoms.

Anyway, there are far too many people here who understand exactly how you feel. You have company in your misery.
07-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
Angrybird

My Support Groups:
Hello Col and welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear that you are still not able to feel well You have definetly come to the right place to chat with people who understand and we even have a sub forum dedicated just to venting (this is found in our support forum) for when things can get on top of you.

I was also wondering about whether you have had you vitamin levels checked at all?

AB
xx

DX: Crohns July 2002
Surgery: Ileocecal Resection Sept 2011
Now:Tummy behaving itself and new mummy to baby Nicholas
Current Meds: 6-MP 75mg,B12 injections every 3 months
Previous Meds: Budesonide, Prednisone, Remicade, Pentesa,Hydroxychlorequine,Azathioprine (tried twice) and Methotrexate
07-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Lucinda

Oh dear, you poor thing. You really have been through a lot. Anger is a pretty reasonable response. I hope being able to talk here helps.

I have been sick for a long time too. Everyone seems to have the latest cure or idea as to what I should do. It can be very frustrating some times. Especially if you are already feeling down on yourself. I find I often feel like if I just try harder, be better, etc. I can control my disease. But it isn't true. I can do my best but sometimes that will simply not be enough and I have to let go of the anger and guilt. So much easier to say than do.

We don't want our illness to rule our lives but the truth is that it has a huge impact on our lives regardless of what we do. The other conditions that develop over time can make the burden too much to bear some days. You need others to help lighten your load.

I hope this place helps you do that. You are certainly not alone. I believe talking makes all the difference. Good for you for taking that step and reaching out. Prayers and good wishes to you that you can find the support you need.

For what it's worth, I agree that getting your vitamin levels checked is a good idea. Vit. D deficiency is very common, even among healthy folks and can certainly affect your mood.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Hello Everyone !