• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Scd

I really think I need to change my diet. I have been looking into the SCD but there are some many of the "good" foods that I can not eat. I have no idea what I would eat.

Please check out my SCD recipe blog www.foreverscd.blogspot.com! I have a help page for what you can buy in stores on my blog too. Also check out the illegal/legal food list, the link is in my signature, it is VERY handy to have.
I started this diet 2 months ago and have been symptom free since then ;) Also check out www.againstallgrain.blogspot.com she has an amazing recipe blog. Good luck and I hope you are also one of the lucky ones this diet works for!

I don't miss carbs at all! I make cakes and cookies out of coconut flour and almond flour. They are delicious. My kids eat them for breakfast :)

THank you very much!! I thought I had to give up sweets and that is the hardest for me. It is nice to know I can still have cake and cookies!!

here are soooo many Paleo/SCD recipes out on the net,

just be wary of replacing all the wheat and sugar with nuts and honey.
The idea is to eat a lot less sugar and honey is just sugar with bits of bee dirt and enzymes in it.
A year and a half into it and i'm still having problems with nuts (too many cakes and cookies :) )

Snoflayk or others on the SCD- How long did it take you to become symptom free on the SCD diet? I started the diet about a week ago and I'm still having diarrhea. There are some improvements-- no gas, no bloating, and no headaches/migraines. I'm just hoping for some encouragement...

Katybuckeye,
Are you sticking with the intro diet? Don't advance past the intro diet until you are symtpom free. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/p/the-intro-diet/

What have you been eating since you started? Are you following it strictly, like homemade chicken soup, no bouillon? There are lots of hidden starches and stuff in the chicken stock bouillon.

That's great you are seeing some improvements. This diet is a great way to find out what foods cause you symptoms. Also, I heard eggs can cause some people symptoms so that's something to consider also.

Just stick with it :) It took me 8 days until I was starting to feel like I could advance my diet. Good luck to you!

P.S. Diet change does not always take everyone's symptoms completely away. Some people it just isnt enough :( Crossing my fingers that you find the complete relief I have!

Katybuckeye,
Are you sticking with the intro diet? Don't advance past the intro diet until you are symtpom free. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/p/the-intro-diet/

What have you been eating since you started? Are you following it strictly, like homemade chicken soup, no bouillon? There are lots of hidden starches and stuff in the chicken stock bouillon.

That's great you are seeing some improvements. This diet is a great way to find out what foods cause you symptoms. Also, I heard eggs can cause some people symptoms so that's something to consider also.

Just stick with it :) It took me 8 days until I was starting to feel like I could advance my diet. Good luck to you!

P.S. Diet change does not always take everyone's symptoms completely away. Some people it just isnt enough :( Crossing my fingers that you find the complete relief I have!
Hi Snoflayk- Thanks for the reply. I was following the intro exactly as outlined in the BTVC book. Homemade chicken soup (no bouillion), dry curd cottage cheese, Welch's 100% grape juice, ground beef plain, and eggs. The only thing that I haven't added is the cheese cake because my yogurt maker is in the mail, but still hasn't arrived. The BTVC book clearly states to follow the intro diet for 2-5 days maximum. I've been losing weight and definitely do not need any more weight loss, so I don't think it's a good idea for me to keep with the intro right now. I've been reading and rereading BTVC and I feel a bit better about it now. The author doesn't say that all symptoms, including diarrhea, should resolve before advancing past the intro. She gives some general guidelines about foods not to add until "diarrhea has substantially resolved". She also states to give the diet at least 30 days and improvements should be noticed in that time period-- not that all symptoms should resolve. I'm already noticing some improvements with my general GI symptoms, so I think that is good progess. I'm having a GREAT day so far today, so I am still hopeful. I believe that this diet is the answer for me and I refuse to think otherwise. It IS going to work.

OOooo! I think I know what it is. Stop the grape juice and see what happens. Grape juice is known to cause gas and diarrhea in some, like me and my daughter hehehe. Maybe try Apple or Orange or Green Tea or water and re-visit grape juice later.

Im so so happy you are starting to get some relief! The weight thing is an issue for so many. Maybe try out some recipes with the Almond and coconut flours like coconut flour donuts or some muffins to try and stabilize your weight? I started those while I still had symptoms, I still achieved full remission. Just try it in small amounts because I would hate for you to suffer more from your tummy not liking those additions quite so soon. I am no expert except for what i know from experience, just remember everyone is different. I do know that for me, aged cheeses like cheddar and swiss and pb banana smoothies or yogurt ice cream do not make things worse if I have a little flare. We live off smoothies :) I have had 3 incidences so far since June after trying "illegal" foods: one after a piece of chocolate cake, one after I ate a few dried plantains (didnt realize they were illegal), and third when I mixed some cocoa powder with some coconut milk to check my reaction to chocolate..........yea, chocolate is a no no for me lol. So, as long as I stick to strict SCD, it seems I stay symptom free!!

Let us know how it goes ditching the grape juice. If it's anything like me, you will notice a difference that day. Good Luck!

This is probably a dumb question, but it's harmless enough: Does the Dry curd cottage cheese have to be homemade?

This is probably a dumb question, but it's harmless enough: Does the Dry curd cottage cheese have to be homemade?
No, it does not have to be homemade, although I have come across a blog that explains how to make it. I buy mine at Whole Foods. It's called "farmer's cheese" where I live, but I've been assured that it is the say as DCCC and it is the brand that they mention in the BTVC book.

Dry Curd can be replaced with dripped yogurt :) I use it when my Wholefoods is out of it like now :( Was wanting some for my Lasagna recipe I am posting soon.

Dripped yogurt is basically drained homemade yogurt. I line a colander with cheese cloth or a paper towel, set it over a larger bowl leaving enough room for liquid to drip out and the colander won't touch the liquid, put yogurt in lined colander and drain in fridge until a cream cheese like consistency. Hope this helps!

Son just doesn't seem to be thriving on the SCD. We are considering switching to a normal, healthy diet, free of processed foods, potatoes and wheat.

We had to tweak SCD for E. He doesn't seem to handle any dairy at all, even cheese/yogurt. He also doesn't feel great when he eats legumes, so no peanut butter. I am always surprised that beef is in the diet so early too since many IBD patients do not digest it. E doesn't eat beef. So we are SCD minus the dairy, beef, and legumes.