• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hey 16 year old new seek help

• Thread starter AndyCrohnsPatient
  • Start date
A

AndyCrohnsPatient

Hey im new to this site. I have had Crohns for my start of my 2nd year. I have had a lot of pain and still suffering a lot. I had the surgery last spring to remove my section but im still having issues. Im now experiencing bathroom and bloating and a lot of pain issues. Im on remicade and prednisone. I have been dealing with a lot of pain and random issues since be diagnosed back in Sept 06. Im getting depressed and its hard going day to day with a lot of pain and dealing with the bathroom afraid to go and not sleeping some nights because of hurting. Im new here looking for fellow friends who have this because i need support. I just had a Colonoscopy and Endoscopy last week and its my second i have had in the last 2 years. Im now getting started on Vit. B injections at home because they took out the thing connecting my small to large intestine that helps your process stool. And i keep having something new happen. Just like to know other people and looking for support. Also im almost 16 and Im in the 10th grade and this health issue has had messed up my school a lot so.

Hi Andy!

Make sure that your school knows about your condition. They should cut you some slack. Extra pressure/stress is the worst thing for you if you're flaring right now.

I

Isla

We won't scare you.... much :)

Welcome to the board. Ya we all came here to look for some support whether it is to goof off and joke around or cry and get really mad at this disease and the world. I wished you could of had more disease free teen years. It is not fun being so young and dealing with this - like you don't already have enough to worry about, sheesh!

I agree with Penny on this one, you really need to be careful and mindful about the foods you eat. They could be causing the problem.

A

AndyCrohnsPatient

Thanks for support guys. I need it, this disease has cause me to be depressed so. thanks again.

I

Isla

Maybe you should see someone about the depression? I am in therapy once a month, it really does help!

hey mate, im also almost 16 and know exactly what your going through, infact your story is almost identical to mine! i no school can really be difficult but i find the more i worry about it the worse it is and im not just saying that. definately agree with creepy lurker, my school used to give me so much hassle about time off until my doctor actually rang them up explaining it. ever since then ive been allowed to leave lessons whenever i like and my teachers make sure any work i miss is sent to me so i dont fall behind. this disease is really tough but you can't let it get you down, as soon as that happens the disease has won and things will only get worse.

theres some amazing people on this site and i know that speaking to them about the disease really can help. its a nice feeling to know your not alone in your struggles. keep us updated on how your doing and stay positive mate.

Hi Andy! Welcome to the forum. I'm also around your age (17), but I'm a girl. I hope you stick around!

Andy I was diagnosed when I was about your age. Its a very difficult thing for kid your age to deal with. Telling people what you have has always helped me from the get go.

I was in school one day and this kid John said "hey Vin what are you smokin coke or something....your as yellow as a banana" a lot of others laughed...teenagers are mean.

Another time I had to wake my mom up in the middle of the night because of the burning in my rectum. Can you imagine.

But I'm 36 now and remember those times just like I remember the ones of laughter and joy... seeing my great friend Brian go down Lampson Hill on rollerblades with no brakes. And kissing Erin who I had a crush on.

These are the bad times. You are young and strong. Believe it to be. It wont be easy and you dont have to go it alone.

Vin

Hi Andy
I was diagnosed when I was 16. Now I'm 52 and done loads of stuff in the intervening years... used to go diving (as in scuba diving), martial arts, and played in loads of bands... nearly gave the day job up once!
There are down times... the last 18 months have not been very good... and I had to give up my latest band at Christmas... it was all a bit much... but I know these things just come in cycles and I go with the flow!
Good luck!

Andy,
I was diagnosed when I was 14 years old and encountered the same types of problems. I am now 19, and a freshman in college I have not only had to deal with the crohns disease but all kinds other complications. I would be more than happy to answer any of your question if you need someone to talk to. Feel free to email me at nathan@nfiles.net

E

El_Guapo1976

Hi Andy

I was diagnosed at 8. My story is on another thread. As Nathan says, I'd be happy to answer any questions, or to just give you advice on how I coped through school.

My email is ocardenes@ashtonrowe.com.

Take care..

My son was 16 when he was diagnosed. I know it can be hard sometimes, he really doesn't have any pain, but he does get really tired and the meds make him very dizzy during school. He has what they call a section 504 in school that allows him breaks, excused absenses, extra set of books for when he is not feeling well and is home, and a social worker came to the school from his gastro doctors office to really explain to his teachers about Crohns. Maybe you should talk to your parents about this and then together talk to your doctor. It makes things a lot easier and a lot less stressful for everyone especially YOU.

AndyCrohnsPatient said:
Hey im new to this site. I have had Crohns for my start of my 2nd year. I have had a lot of pain and still suffering a lot. I had the surgery last spring to remove my section but im still having issues. Im now experiencing bathroom and bloating and a lot of pain issues. Im on remicade and prednisone. I have been dealing with a lot of pain and random issues since be diagnosed back in Sept 06. Im getting depressed and its hard going day to day with a lot of pain and dealing with the bathroom afraid to go and not sleeping some nights because of hurting. Im new here looking for fellow friends who have this because i need support. I just had a Colonoscopy and Endoscopy last week and its my second i have had in the last 2 years. Im now getting started on Vit. B injections at home because they took out the thing connecting my small to large intestine that helps your process stool. And i keep having something new happen. Just like to know other people and looking for support. Also im almost 16 and Im in the 10th grade and this health issue has had messed up my school a lot so.
andy,

it looks like you've gone through alot. i'm no doctor or anything, but i tried out the specific carbohydrate diet for my proctitis and it seemed to help. you might want to check out this book called breaking the vicious cycle

Hey Andy...hang in there. I was diagnosed at about your age too...I'm 36 now and doing pretty well. My parent's told my teachers about my disease (gosh I hate that word) and they were very accomodating, but I never wanted any special treatment. I am now a teacher and a couple of my students over the years have been diagnosed with Crohn's so it's been almost a blessing in that I know what they're going through and can listen to them when they need to vent. I have been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for over a year, and it is really helping me...but everyone has to find what works for them.

I've found this web site really helpful because you realize you're not alone, and there are always others who are worse off than you are.