• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My crohns trip- story

Posted this on another thread, here it goes:
Hello, I am new to the forums but I have had my personal relashonship with Crohns (2004 diagnosis). I have tried lots of different medications and also tried the no medication route. I ended up basically screwing myself ad ended up hospitalized and multiple ct scans and a scope determined 3 to 4 scriptures. They tod me they had to use a pediatric scope to push gently through one of them. Afterwards they wanted to do scrictureplasty surgery and something else. All the while I am on deloudid and unable to think and make tough choices for myself. (that's the last time I'll allow myself to be exposed like that.)

If it wasn't for my moms 40 years of experience dealing with Crohns I can only imagine the outcome. After a barrage of discussions with my mom and surgeons and dotors, I had no choice but to compete a "against medical advice discharge" after 10 days in that hospital. My mother was able to get me a consultation with G.I Doctor/team thats so reputable and arguably second to none ( you guys can judge for yourself) at the University of Chicago. So yeah let's stop and think about this insanity I just got myself into..

I just did a AMA discharge coming off cold turkey from a very tough addictive narcotic (deloudid). I was on 60 mg of solumedrol (prednisone injection). I also committed to stop smoking (nicotine withdrawal). They didnt give me any meds when I left. There are people on these forums who've been through the ringer and back and know that I'd have to be:
A. Insane to stop cold turkey deloudid and steroids.
B. just plain stupid and crazy.

I did not have a choice as a 7am flight was booked for me to Chicago the next day.

Once I finally got to Chicago and met with my mother she took one look at me and said, "don't pass out here in th airport, do it in the er." Knowing I have no insurance and the federal law mandating they must treat me for serious conditions regardless of finances. So triage looks at me and gets a ER doc and the doc says, "oh wow,we need to get you in the back." This is a result of my insanity quiting deloudid, steroids, nicotine withdrawal, and a ute dehydration at the same time.

Once I got stabilized and the next morning the infamous IBD team came to my isolation room and proceeded to chew what's left of my butt out. Glad to finally meet you but wish you would used your brain.:shifty-t:

Long story short the university of Chicago says that I do not need surgery, unlike the hospital in Atlanta said I needed. With the sciptures I have they said I have a 10% chance of getting better and that's it. They want me to go on humira and methotrexate. (with no insurance or job). I know abbott labs has the pt. assistance program, And plan on using that.

So that is my story in a nut shell, past medications areas follows

Pentasa
5-Asa (various)
Remicaide
Entacourt
Asacol
Immuran

Currently recuperating on 40mg prednisone until my doctor appointment on the 30th. I plan on going to my local health clinic so they can do the TB test for humira. Hope to give and get support where I can from people who obviously have been where I am or are where I am currently.

hi scaryman and welcome to the forum!

If you have strictures from scar tissue, then the only way to get rid of them is with surgery. You would feel a lot better after the fact!

hopefully abbott labs will supply you with free humira! that would be great.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Why do the Chicago docs not think surgery is required? If the strictures are built up scar tissue then I an only agree that this will lead to surgery as to my knowledge cutting it out is the only way to get rid of it and 10% does not sound very high odds.

How are you feeling at the moment on the pred - have you noticed any improvement in symptoms?

AB
xx

Angel: I can't answer that. The university of Chicago is on the cutting edge on research with this disease. I trust Dr. Stephen Hanauer's professional opinion. I'll use surgery as a absolute last resort. Heck, can you blame me for wanting to keep my virgin gut? :) :)

As for the strictures I am gone by watching anxiety (stress triggers) and of course utilizing a tip Chicago taught mt with my diet. Convert to chewdism, basically make sure everything I swallow is purée or mush. Apples become apple sauce, turkey sandwich becomes ground turkey and mushy white bread. Chitos snacks ate safe as I don't have a dairy issue. So as long as I don't flare I am ok, but in fairness I have yet to begin prednisone taper.

Angrybird

Angel: I can't answer that. The university of Chicago is on the cutting edge on research with this disease. I trust Dr. Stephen Hanauer's professional opinion. I'll use surgery as a absolute last resort. Heck, can you blame me for wanting to keep my virgin gut? :) :)
Not at all hun, as long as the docs are looking after you and keeping a close eye.