Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Blood Tests » Blood test results show high cortisol?

07-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Layla123

Blood test results show high cortisol?

Hi I have just learnt that recent blood tests I have done show I have high cortisol levels at like 800? The doctor said we wouldnt need to do my endoscopy next week if this test showed it was abnormal. but i was wondering what having a high level of cortisol means? and why I dont need the endoscopy now? my doctor is currently away but I rung up for the test results myself so I would know if I needed the endoscopy next week
07-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
David
Co-Founder

Cortisol is a hormone produced by the adrenal glands.

Are you on prednisone?

Were you getting an endoscopy due to specific symptoms?
07-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Layla123

No I wasnt on prednisone and the endoscopy is now going ahead I still dont know what the cortisol has to do with it though. I am having the endoscopy because i get nausea when i eat and feel sick all the time. that and the new medicine im on movicol isnt quite working enough and neither are my anti nausea pills

Thanks for the reply
07-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
xmdmom

My Support Groups:
Cortisol is a stress hormone. The most common reason for an increased value is physical and psychological stress. Different units are used in different labs so it's hard to know how high 800 is. It's useful to compare values to the lab's normal range, and for cortisol, the timing of the blood draw is important (early morning or late in the day or night)
07-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
StarGirrrrl

My Support Groups:
I too have high Cortisol, and went to an Endocrinologist. He did a test which successfully switched off the gland producing cortisol, so in my case he (and I) are satisifed it is a physical stress response to my unknown inflammatory disease.

Even my 9am readings are a couple hundred high!
2014 IDA & low B12.

June 2014 admitted to Hospital 3 nights as emergency transfused 2 units of blood. Dangerous case of anaemia.
Caught by pure chance!
Cause currently unknown but suspected CD.

Waiting on blood & stool results from January.

Hoping to stop anaemia treatment soon & lower B12 daily dose!
07-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Layla123

cool thanks guys yea it probably is stress I'd say I am a very stress prone person haha

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Blood Tests » Blood test results show high cortisol?