Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Cimzia Side Effects

05-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #31
bnoyce

Good luck with the Cimzia. I was a non-responder. The shots were painful, but it would have been worth the pain if Crohn's symptoms had been relieved.

I'm not wild about the increase in leukemia risk, especially to those under 30 years old. It's sad that the current treatments for Crohn's disease generally mess up the immune system at the same time.
05-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #32
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I have not heard of an increase in Leukimia risk from Cimzia. That's quite upsetting.
05-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #33
Sue-2009

I'm off the prednisone! Does anybody have a lot of gas? Just wondering if its from healing or not healing. Thoughts? Wisdom?! Sue
05-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #34
cleuger

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone thought I would respond to this post. I have been on Cimzia since October of last year in the beginning it was really great seemed to keep things under control. Now im not so sure whats going on. I am constantly having a sinus infection with fever I can't tell you how many times Ive been on antibiotics. I also have a dry patchy rash on my back and stomach and the backs of my arms doesn't really bother though. also Ive noticed I have new joint pain. Before I started Cimizia I never had joint pain. The thing is I use to go to the bathroom 30 times a day up most of the night I was miserable. I don't do that any longer I do get a full nights sleep most of the time but IM sore and achy when I get up im thinking I would rather live in the bathroom then deal with all of this I have missed quit a bit work because of my problems. I told my doctor he told me I have a life threatening illness and I didn't have choice I have to take Cimzia I'm about to take matter in my own hands and take myself off take a round of pred. I can not pay my bills this way if I don't work. Sometimes I seriously feel like giving up.Just wanted to share that your not the only one having problems
Hope everything is working out for you.

Diagnosed 10/02/2012 Crohns Colitis
05/28/14 Surgery Abscess due to Fistula
09/18/2014 Surgery Total Proctocolectomy
rectum removed and closed up.
Best Decision I ever made.

Gastro Released me said I didn't need meds any longer

Have 3 kids only 1 at home 17 yr old is Type 1 Diabetic

Currently Taking
Tramadol
Xanax
Multi Vitiman
05-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #35
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Cleuger I'm sorry you are having issues with Cimzia. Have you tried other biologics like Remicade or Humira? Maybe those will help you without the side effects.
09-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #36
empressreggie

My Support Groups:
Hi there, so happy to share with other people on Cimzia. I was on Remicade for 2 1/2 years and it worked well, then I had to go to max dose then every 4-5 weeks and recently it stopped working altogether. My GI put me on Cimzia thinking that I'd do best on that versus Humira bc Humira is similar to Remi. I've had my first loading dose, take my second tomorrow.

I've had side effects from the first shot: first few days exhausted, achy, joint pain, allergies worse and headache. Then it subsided but I had upper GI pain and felt full after eating. My Crohn's is in my colon so upper GI is def side effect and I called the drug company and my dr bc it's overall made me worse than just having Crohn's symptoms and they said take full loading dose and then see what happens. I'd had a consult w/head of IBD center at Ceder's Sinai (I'm in LA) and they'd wanted me to do methotrexate w/Cimzia to kick it in faster. I had terrible side effects from 6MP and methotrexate is hard on the liver so I didn't want to try that and Cimzia. Has anyone done methotrexate w/Cimzia?

I'm frustrated because nobody seems to know why all these biologics give you joint pain/aches (also w/Cimzia leg exhaustion and I work out hard at the gym but going up the stairs makes my legs burn now. I didn't have that on REMI ever) and seem to flare up other autoimmune symptoms that aren't Crohn's related. I guess I'm just going to have to get the loading dose on board and hope that the side effects go away.

Appreciate any advice/responses from my fellow Cimi's...
09-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #37
slightlysilly

My Support Groups:
Thank much for this thread! I just started cimzia last Thursday, after Remicade gave me med induced lupus and humira didn't do anything.

I feel like a zombie. Like my feet are a zillion pounds. I sat down to watch the packers game and ended up falling asleep on the couch (unusual). Just exhaustion, can't think straight, and did I say exhaustion? Also my joints aren't recovering quickly if I take a walk or something. I'm also going to call my doctor on Monday.

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease - 11/03/2010
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease 03/10/2011
Diagnosed with med induced lupus due to Remicade 01/2013
Was on Humira, didn't improve anything.

Currently on:
Cimzia
Pentasa
Buckets and buckets of Ultram and Vicodin.

Ileocolectomy scheduled for 11/18/2013

My Blog: www.gimpycolon.wordpress.com

09-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #38
empressreggie

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear you're experiencing those side effects. Same as I felt. Like I was run over by a truck. After my second round of loading shots last week, I felt the same way for 3 days but now I'm better. Hasn't helped w/the Crohn's symptoms yet but if it's only 2 days or so of exhaustion and joint pain after the injection AND it works to get me into remission then it's worth it.

But there is hope re: side effects wearing off once your body's used to the med.

Sending you good thoughts and let me know how you're doing after your second round of shots...
09-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #39
cleuger

My Support Groups:
Things must just level off as time goes. I'm still on Cimzia. It will be 1 year next month and I don't have any symptoms now. As a matter of fact I know the shot works for me the problem is I think I need it 2 times a month instead of 1 because it seams to start wearing off going into the 3rd week.
07-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #40
tampa123

I have been using cimzia for 4 1/2 years, i take 400 mg every month. I feel well the first 2 weeks and then i start having 5 to 10 BM's a day until my next shot. I have add a short bowel resection in Dec 2010. My c- reactive protien level's are high its 10 right now. My doctor put me on pentasa 4 pills a day for the next 3 months and he wants to do a colonoscopy to examine and give a booster shot of cimzia if it looks bad. The side effect of cimzia i have is darkening on skin on hands and legs/ dryness/ sensitivity to sun light. I like 6 MP it brought my symptoms under control, but the side effects are horrible i had nausea the 2 weeks, i had joint pains etc and the weird side effect is it hyper sensitive to smell. I can tell if my daughter had a dirty diaper not even being the same room :-)
07-17-2014, 01:33 AM   #41
tots

My Support Groups:
I just took my last "loading" dose today. With the first two I got a slight sore throat and had increased trips to the bathroom. I also experienced muscle aches. I will now have one injection every two weeks. I also now suffer from dizziness. I wonder if pre meds like I used with Reicade would help.

I am hoping this works and I can eat a salad soon!

Lauren

Diagnosed= 1992 and again Feb 2012 Confirmed with
CT enterography May 2015 !!

Waiting for the ok from my Ins company to restart Remicade. Will also start Imuron to get into remission!
I know it's out there somewhere and I WILL find it!

:

Ok, my family Dr told me to cut down on the stress- a husband, 3 kids, and 3 dogs!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Cimzia Side Effects