Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. William Sandborn of La Jolla, California

Old 07-29-2012, 02:23 PM
NameDr. William J, Sandborn
Address9500 Gilman Drive
 La Jolla, California, 92093
 United States
Websitehttp://gastro.ucsd.edu/people/Pages/Sandborn.aspx
Phone(858) 534-3320
BioDr. Sandborn directs a large clinical research unit devoted to the conduct of clinical trials in inflammatory bowel disease, where he supervises a multi-investigator team of physicians, research fellows, nurses, and study coordinators. With his physician collaborators, he evaluates and develops new diagnostic modalities and medical therapies for inflammatory bowel disease. He is internationally recognized for his contributions in the fields of biotechnology therapy, clinical pharmacology, conduct of clinical trials, diagnostic and treatment of pouchitis, epidemiology and natural history, and endoscopic and radiographic imaging techniques.
Education
Southern College, Collegedale, TN BA 1980-83 Chemistry
Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA MD 1983-87 Medicine
Loma Linda Univ Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA Intern/Residency 197-90 Internal Medicine
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN Fellowship 1990-93 Gastroenterology
 View Directory Entry
07-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
CrohnsHobo

Really a fantastic doctor in a fantastic facility. The team Dr. Sandborn works with is incredibly knowledgeable about Crohns disease, and are current with all treatment methods and run their own trials for the treatment of Crohns disease.

They have spent a lot of time going over my past treatments, and developing a plan for treating me. What has impressed me is they are willing to listen. They have listened to my concerns regarding different treatments and have used those concerns in developing a treatment plan for me. They also work closely with the world class surgeons at UCSD.

I just can't express how great the doctors, nurses and staff are here.

Rating:
5 / 5 Bedside Manner
5 / 5 Knowledgeable
5 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
5 / 5 Ease of accessibility

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
09-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
colbran

Really a fantastic doctor in a fantastic facility.

I just can't express how great the doctors, nurses and staff are here.
I've heard this about him....sadly, he used to be at Mayo Clinic in MN where I'm thinking about taking my newly diagnosed son!! Wish he were closer...now I have to do some research about who's who at Mayo.

P.S. Rated him all 5's because of the relationship one of my friend's has with him!

Rating:
5 / 5 Bedside Manner
5 / 5 Knowledgeable
10-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Anonymous
Anonymous Doctor Reviewer

I was Dr. Sandborn's patient for 13 years when he was at Mayo. He is top notch on his knowledge of IBD. The last few years I seen him he seemed more interested in research then his patients. I also felt as if the treatment he would suggest was more of a research experiment then in my best interest. This may not be the case, but that is how he made me feel. I still have no clue as to why he left Mayo. Never even knew he had left until I called for an appointment and was told he had went California about 4 months before I called. I'm not trying to bad mouth Dr. Sandborn, just give an honest opinion.

Hopefully Dr. Sandborn has made a fresh start. He is a great asset to all of us with IBD. I believe it is Doctors like him that will find a cure for us.

Rating:
3 / 5 Bedside Manner
5 / 5 Knowledgeable
4 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
3 / 5 Ease of accessibility
10-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
mhiler

My husband began seeing Dr. Sandborn at the Mayo Clinic almost 8 years ago. He has a 20+ year history at Mayo, but switched to Dr. Sandborn when no one else could seem to get him on track. They immediately formed a strong Dr/patient relationship, and we felt that Dr. Sandborn took a personal interest in getting him back on track, which he did within a few months. He wasn't afraid to be aggressive in his treatment, while at the same time being very cautious and diligent about monitoring his patients - he doesn't miss a beat. He kept my husband in remission for 7 years, and then he relapsed with a bad Crohn's flare. Because my husband has had extensive surgeries and is headed toward TPN if he need more, we felt that it was urgent to get his latest flare under control. Dr. Sandborn had moved to San Diego, so we began with his replacement Dr. at Mayo to try and get him back into remission. After 6 months of no relief, we booked an appointment with Dr. Sandborn in California and flew out to see him. He was thrilled to see us and took a great deal of time to discuss all of our options. His nurse practitioner, Elisabeth Evans, is FABULOUS - extremely knowledgeable and a great advocate for the patient in facilitating communication with Sandborn. Within 2 months of seeing Dr. Sandborn in CA (due to a long insurance approval process for Stelera - not approved for Crohn's yet), my husband's blood word began to improve and he is feeling much better. Dr. Sandborn is the only Dr. we trust with my husbands health - he is on the cutting edge with his research and treatment of patients. He is THE BEST!!!!

Rating:
5 / 5 Bedside Manner
5 / 5 Knowledgeable
Previous meds: Humira, Pred, Pentasa, Asacol, 6MP, Remicade, MANY others
current meds for Crohn's: Stelera, Methotrexate injection 1/week
short bowel meds: alternate between antibiotics (Cipro for ex), tincture of opium, and probiotics
Our Story: http://alifewithcrohns.wordpress.com/
01-25-2016, 05:09 AM   #6
motherfish5

We feel that Dr. Sandborn and the entire staff at their office is excellent and very professional. Elizabeth Evans, NP, who works with him, is also excellent at answering our questions and is very warm, friendly and caring. My son became extremely ill in early 2014, and ended up in the adjacent Thornton Hospital. Dr. Sandborn and the rest of the GI staff took good care of him there, and Dr. Sonia L. Ramamoorthy did an excellent job on his colectomy. He is now using Entyvio and methotrexate, and has had complete remission and return to health.

Rating:
5 / 5 Bedside Manner
5 / 5 Knowledgeable

Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. William Sandborn of La Jolla, California