Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Barrier wipes/spray

07-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
Crohn'sFor Life
Colon Free!

Barrier wipes/spray

What kind of barrier wipe/spray do you guys use? What do you like/dislike about them? I currently use the Reliamed barrier wipe...I'm thinking of using something thicker...maybe latex based...any thoughts?

Mahalo

Colon removed September 26, 2011.
Pathology showed UC instead of Crohn's.

I have arthritis that is very similar to RA, but not RA because I had UC.

Autoimmune related itch.

Meds: 15 mg/week Methotrexate for RA
Cetirizine for the itch
07-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I don't use any wipes I'm afraid. But I do use cavillon spray. Works great.
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
07-31-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
Samboi

My Support Groups:
I use the wipes - but sometimes I forget.
I haven't noticed any discernable difference if I don't use the wipe - but I'm a bit scared to not use it - just in case there is a longer term negative effect.
I'm very unwilling to rock the boat.
I'm not dure what brand they are - they come in a little blue and white box.
I picked up a sample of another brand today at the stome shop - so going to give them a try too.
Trying Vedoluzimab - running out of options
Neupogen
08-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
AlexJ

After trialling a few different brands I have decided that I like the dansac wipes the best, to me they feel more moist than other wipes which is a quality that I really like. I also use brava barrier cream after using the wipe, the cream adds an extra layer of protection and also aids with adhesion and gives the bag a better stick. I only use a tiny amount of the cream and wipe off the excess as if there's too much cream I tend not to get a very good stick
08-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Currently I am using the ReliaMed Sting-free Protective Barrier Wipes. They truly do not sting and seem to be doing a pretty good job. They don't leave a sticky residue after they dry like others that I have used, and that could be a good or bad thing depending on what your preference is. If you need the extra stickiness to help secure your baseplate, this may not give you what you need.

Medline Sureprep Protective Wipe was what I used previous to the above and they did a better job of protecting my skin, but they did sting a bit and somedays it was really bad. They do leave a sticky residue after they dry. These wipes did a better job for me in protecting my skin, but I never knew if it was going to sting bad or not.

I do like using the barrier wipes. I think they really help to prevent my skin from reacting to the adhesive. I am allergic to several adhesives in Band-Aids and surgical tape, but with the barrier wipes and the Coloplast bags, I am doing okay.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
08-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Hayleymariex

Can I ask what these sprays/wipes are for? Boyfriend recently had a surgery resulting in a stoma so we're trying to learn everything we can. Thank you!
08-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Samboi

My Support Groups:
I tried a Convatec sample on Sunday. It was quite different to the usual barrier wipe I use.
It had a strong medical smell - a bit like an alcohol swab.
It stung a bit where my skin is a little sensitive - which I was surprised by.
It was also very sticky. Seems to work ok.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Barrier wipes/spray