• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone Adventures

A continued saga from http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=3723

Anyway, big surprise, I work in a nursing home, I'm on prednisone, my immune system is weakened... I caught the flu and now I have steadily worsening bronchitis.

My call to the clinic went like this:

*Identification Given*

Receptionist: So, you're needing an appointment?

Me: Yes.

Receptionist: What's the matter?

Me: Flu and probable bronchitis. (It definitely is, but I don't want to sound too uppity)

Receptionist: Ok, I'll just pass you on to a nurse then. Hold on for a minute.

Me: Ok.

*I swear it could not possibly have been a full 5 seconds*

Receptionist: Hi, can you make it in to see Dr. Ogawa at 3:15 today?

Damn, did he come sprinting down the hall when she repeated my name back to me or what? I'm sure his first reaction is I'm having adrenal insufficiency or something. I must be right about me being his only interesting patient so he's all gung-ho and he can't wait to see me again. Again, I like young doctors. They're not bored so easily. :)

I'm just hoping not to get another lecture about how steroids aren't a suitable long-term option and this is one of the reasons why. I knew I was almost certainly going to get sick somehow. Let's just count our blessings I didn't catch MRSA considering I have a resident with MRSA who's catheter bag I change every night and who's diarrhea I have to wipe up every morning.

Last edited:
As I said, I like young doctors for their enthusiasm. I knew I'd get in on the same day. I'm just surprised and quite amused by the apparent red alert that went off when I called.

I actually am hoping to avoid the redundant 'steroids = bad' lectures that I tend to get from him. I already know how bad they are. In fact, I know from first hand experience. *sniffle* *cough* *cough* *sneeze* *blow nose* *cough* *cough* *cough*

Okay, I went and I've got bronchitis and a sinus infection both. They started me on Amoxicillin. They gave me the maximum dose of 875mg every 12 hours for 10 days. I called in sick for the 2nd night in a row. This makes the people at work double unhappy.

BTW, how likely is it for a couple months of prednisone to put someone in remission? I'm kind of surprised by the success I've had with it.

i think it's very likely that a couple months of pred will give you remission. I think it usually kicks in within a couple of weeks. Sorry that you have an awful cold, but I'm glad that you've had success with prednisone! even though it's an awful drug...

The good news though is that while the people at work have much annoyance with me this week, next week I have an interview for a a higher paying day-time job. Muahaha. Venipuncturist at the local university hospital (blood sample gathering), and it pays 1.53 more an hour for the training wage for a total of 10.28/hr. Once I'm trained it should get a little better than that. For 3 years experience they're paying 12.95. Plus it's a hospital position. Working conditions should be MUCH better and maybe I'll get a discount on that colonoscopy I need.

I'm still pretty grumpy but I thought about that yesterday while I was posting. I'm not sure if I'm headed for Denial or Bargaining though. I'll either decide that I'm in remission (true or not) and ignore my symptoms until the next time I'm on the floor, or I'll decide that I'm going to somehow manage to make it through the money and doctor hoops and end up with a positive colonoscopy that ensures me access to better drugs if I want them AND I'll even be able to afford them.

Last edited:
Oh, no, I wasn't saying that those things were going to happen. I was just saying I would (hypothetically) be bargaining and trying to achieve the impossible by trying to make those things happen.

The reality isn't as fun. I woke up with a bunch of mouth ulcers on my gums on Saturday night. So much for remission.

I do have the job interview though.

I just tapered from 5mg to 2mg. My facial rash flared really bad on me the day before my interview. It's really bad. I shaved and smothered my face in hydrocortisone until my interview came. I looked hideous and was worried about frightening people when I walked into the building but luckily no one lost control and ran away.

The interview went extremely well and I'd be shocked if I didn't get the job. It also sounds like a really good job I can take pride in and not be bored with.