• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can anyone please advise?

Hi guys. I got diagnosed with crohns 22 years ago, it started with severe loss of blood, terrible joint pain, severely red and sore eyes, ulcers in mouth and severe weight loss. I was put on prednesolene and they worked wonders for Me. I was on them for three months then put on mesalazine. In these last 22 year's I have only had about five minor flares lasting only a few days which I know I'm very lucky. Last year I myself asked for a colonoscopy just to check, it was fine and they said crohns was quiet, which I knew that myself. Then on the form at the end it said have another one next year. Being as this previous one was ok is it routine to have another so soon guys? Can anyone please advise me as I hosted the thing to be honest. Thanks guys.. rick from London

Hi Rick, I have been told that an annual colonoscopy was necessary, however there is a blood test done here in America that can determine what your disease is doing and if you need a colonoscopy sooner. It is done through Prometheus Labs in San Diego, CA. I don't remember the exact name of the test. Anyone out there know the name?

A yearly colonoscopy is actually really normal and routine. Your doctor probably wants to do regular scopes to catch a potential flare early and because you have had Crohn's for so long you are more susceptible to things like colon cancer so it is reccomended patients get regular check up colonoscopies if they have had Crohn's for 10 + years, especially of you are over 50.

Nothing to be too concerned about, just a rule of thumb.