• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mycobacteria diseases

kiny

mycobacteria is a genus of bacteria responsible for leprae, tuberculosis, involved in aids, crohn and T1D

one of the subdivisions of mycobacteria genus is MAC, MAC includes M. avium, M avium silvaticum, M avium intracellulare and M avium subspecies paratuberculosis (CROHN)

knock-out mice: "A knockout mouse is a laboratory mouse in which researchers have inactivated, or "knocked out," an existing gene by replacing it or disrupting it with an artificial piece of DNA. "

Last edited:
I think you might be interested in this article for several reasons. I see it as a potential Crohn's treatment in the future.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-08/diabetes-may-be-reversed-by-long-used-vaccine-for-tb.html

I found this statement not particularly surprising, but very depressing:

Faustman and her colleagues at Massachusetts General in Boston are working to get the vaccine to market. After their early findings in studies with mice, she said they tried to interest every major drugmaker in developing the vaccine as a possible cure for diabetes. All told her there wasn’t enough money to be made in a cure that used an inexpensive, generically available vaccine, Faustman said.

Dan

it's always about the money isn't it?? I mean, there's a cure out there and nobody wants to get a hold of it. Not enough money?? really? If the drug companies really wanted to, they could find or have a cure. Not enough money for a generic vaccine?

With the prices they are charging for some of the medications/treatments, I think they can afford it..heck, if they can take an entire medical office staff to lunch, they can afford anything. There's money to be made and they don't care if seriously ill ppl have to take numerous drugs to stay in remission. It's all about the MONEY and PROFIT!! It's greed I tell ya and not trying to find a permanent cure for folks that truly and honestly need it. Wish there was a cure right now for Crohn's and UC. WE DESERVE IT and not all the nasty side effects from the pills and Biologics.

Just my opinion. Stay well everyone!!!:)