• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A question

I was just wondering..can you have crohns and microscopic colitis?i have been diagnosed with crohns by full thickness biopsy on bowel removed during one of my surgeries at a very renowned IBD clinic. But I have the symptoms described of microscopic colitis. I know it could be crohns without a huge clinical picture..my last conloscopy showed "mild ulcerations". Good news is Im returning to my doctor in Chicago who originally diagnosed me next month. I'm sooo over these symptoms that limit my life way too much!
Thanks!:rosette1::rosette1::rosette1:

The full thickness biopsy is most likely to be correct since it would allow a close inspection of the cellular architecture of the intestinal wall where changes typical of Crohn's occur and can be differentiated from the changes associated with microscopic colitis.

I'm not a doc or pathologist so I would suggest you discuss this with your docs but I think you are more likely to have Crohn's.

For a you tube video that gives a really nice review of the architecture of the small intestines you can go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c38brUDun7s

Thanks Patricia!!that is a great histological video..and I'm seeking another doctors opinion about my symptoms from the same guy that diagnosed me in Chicago..I'm actually excited about it. The symptoms could just be short bowel syndrome because of all my resections. But wouldn't you know I have never presented with a 'textbook' crohns clinical picture..no matter te amount of inflammation,my labs are always normal!! I guess we all present with a unique clinical presentation,huh?