• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Green coffee bean diet

Are you considering using the green coffee bean diet to lose weight? I strongly suggest you talk to your GI or GP or any medical professional about this before messing with your digestive tract. You do not want to cause any additional problems than those you already experience with Crohn's. Green coffee bean extract messes with your metabolism and glucose. Please, be very careful about this. Forgive me for saying this, but most Crohn's patients do not need to take supplements to help them lose weight. What other medications are you on? Some, like Prednisone, do make you gain weight but once you stop, the weight will come of naturally. It does take a bit of time, but it will come off.

Coffee is made from roasted coffee beans. Drinking coffee is completely different than taking green (un-roasted) coffee beans in a supplement form that is supposed to help you shed pounds even without dieting or exercise. People can take whatever supplements they want. Arnitah ask what we thought and I shared my opinion. I think it is a bad idea for anyone with any IBD to use a pill to lose weight.

I am interested in why it's a bad idea. You have a valid point and while I would never suggest a diet pill to anyone after the whole Ephedrine thing in the early 2000's I would like to hear why it's a bad idea for an IBD patient to take a weight loss pill. As the majority of UC patients don't have weight loss problems I feel it's a valid discussion for them. Since I have never had the experience of needing to lose weight, if taking a weight loss pill is bad for an IBD patient I would like to know some facts before I go suggesting it again. Does this make sense? Sometimes I incoherently ramble. :ybatty:

Perhaps I am wrong. It is not necessarily that I disagree with the green coffee bean extract in particular, it is more the fact that in all my years experience working in the natural/health food industry, I have yet to come across a "magic" pill that will help someone lose weight. And honestly, the companies come out with a 'hot new product' every year. It is what the consumer wants. That magic pill that will allow them to eat whatever they want, not exercise and still lose weight. That is impossible. The safest, healthiest way for anyone to lose weight - IBD patient or not - is diet and exercise. Now let's say this product does work. People take it and lose weight. What happens when they stop taking it? They haven't changed their eating habits or lifestyle at all. Do you think the weight will stay off? But perhaps while taking the supplement they DID also consume less calories from healthier foods and maybe they did start exercising more. Good for them. But then the question is, did the pill contribute to the weight loss or was it the lifestyle change? Look, if you feel that you want to recommend diet pills to UC patients, that's fine. But can you tell me why you think it would NOT be a problem and why you would support it? Who knows, you may have a compelling argument that will make me change my mind.

One more thing, I would just like to point out that the original person who posted this thread specified that he/she has Crohn's and not UC. I stick by my original statement that anyone with Crohn's should not take diet pills. Proper nutrition is a huge concern with Crohn's patients so to take a supplement that is supposed to speed up your metabolism and burn more calories is very risky.

I see your point and I actually agree with it, like I said with the whole Ephedrine thing in the 90's/00's it proved that even 'all natural' ingredients prove fatal in certain situations/dosages. Just with knowing this I think diet pills are not a good idea. I believe while they may help you slightly the benefits of diet and exercise have been proven more effective. The stance I took with this was face value, the pill is simply coffee bean extract and this person asked a point blank question. Theoretically there are Crohns patients who, while rare don't suffer malabsorption/weight issues. So even if i don't feel like its a good idea to take it I still feel like it is possible as unless she has narrowing which would cause the pill to get stuck the worst that will happen is that her Crohns/UC will let her know that she has a problem with it as we all suffer with. I think our discussion on the topic has been great! Like I said I am in full agreement with you. :cheers:

Thanks, and I completely see your point, too! Have you noticed that since Arnitah45 started this thread, we've never heard from her again? Funny! But at least it got us talking!

Cheers!

i have looked into it quite a bit and have not seen the reason that it may be a scam? This Doctor Oz seems to be saying good things about it in his study. The case study done by him here:- youtube.com/watch?v=u0mqeq6EeJ8 seems to be pretty convincing. I may give it a try based on the results some of those women have seen in that video.

sonia

Sounds like scam. Why would you even want to consume coffee in the first place, caffeine alone just destroys your adrenals among other negative effects.

As I realise everyone is diffrent I have not experienced alot of weight loss so far however what most people consider proper diet causes "flare ups" for myself and I am often with extreme pain. My energy level has been lowso I have been getting B12 shots as well as iron infusions every so often. I too have considered green coffee beans and am wondering since its been a little since this question was originally posted has anyone actually tried it?