• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Brittany

My name is Brittany. I am 21 years old and was diagnosed with crohns disease and ulcerative colitis in april 2011. I also have hypothyroidism which dosent really help much :/ Its been pretty overwhelming for me so far. I am always ridiculously tired and with a toddler tired isnt an option. Ive been on medication, recently found bacterial overgrowth in my..gut I guess you would say. Ive had bleeding for a year and a half that has been almost constant. maybe a week here or there without bleeding.The only thing I have found that helps is to drink insane amounts of water.I have also found that my breath has changed. I have that "Sick" taste/smell AAALLL the time. I no longer have health insurance and would like to take a more natural approach anyway So any suggestions on natural solutions to some of these problems would be great.
God Bless <3 Brittany

Hey Brittany, sorry to hear about your issues. I know being younger it tough with crohns but with a kid too, that must be harsh. I hope things get better for you. This forum is a great place to get help from other people in the same boat. If ya have any questions just ask.

Angrybird

Hello Brittany and welome to the forum. Out of interest what meds have you been on for your crohns, I take it now you are not on anything? Was it a GI that confirmed the bacterial overgrowth? Is there anyway you can get some kind of financial help to get healthcare?

Also have you ever had any of your vitamin levels checked? If not it may be worth seeing if you can get these done. It is common for poeple with crohns to have problems with low levels and a low B12 for example can cause fatigue....

I myself do not have a lot of knowledge regarding to natural path of treatment but please do check out our diets and sups forum. There will be info here about this side of things that you may find benificial.

AB
xx

Thanks for the feedback. I was on pentasa and masalamine (or however you spell all that lol), Then went back to my doctor a while later and he said since I wasnt losing any weight or anything yet that it must not be as progressed as he thought and wanted to try somehthing else since its still in early stages.so he checked for the bacteria overgrowth and gave me steroids for that and I havent been back yet since then. So well see what he says when I go back. Havent had vitamin levels checked yet but will definitly look into that.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Brittany and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling.

Is there no way for you to get health insurance back? Maybe state or federal assistance? It is SO IMPORTANT for you to get proper treatment!

I echo Angrybird regarding the vitamin B12. Also get your vitamin D levels tested as people with Crohn's are commonly deficient and that can help with your thyroid issues as well.

We're here for you!