• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

Hi everyone! I'm new here and just got recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I'll be 24 in September and before dealing with this disease, I was a full time college student with a full time job. I'm 6 credits shy of earning my bachelors degree but since I got sick, I've had to postpone finishing up my degree.

I spent about 2 months dealing with my first flare up and 10 days in the hospital. I'm currently on Bentyl, Pred taper, Asacol and Remicade. I just got my second infusion on Monday.

I'm still all new to this and I get on the forum everyday, and research the disease every day so I can learn as much as I can.

Just wanted to go ahead and introduce myself since I'd like to stick around. Everyone seems so helpful! :)

Well, I still have mild stomach cramps but nothing compared to what I was going through before. Oddly, I get them at night. I do not have bloody or pussy diarrhea anymore. And I have 1-3 bowel movements a day.

My doctor gave me the okay to add new food to my diet after my Remicade infusion on Monday. He suggested a salad but I'm not sure what I can start eating. Any tips?

Because of the Pred, I can't sleep at night and I have moon face and acne. But it doesn't really bother me much.

Because of the Pred, I can't sleep at night and I have moon face and acne. But it doesn't really bother me much.
Hello and welcome. I was dx last March, and also could not sleep too well on prednisone. Have you been taking your doses in the am? That can make a big difference.

Hello and welcome. I was dx last March, and also could not sleep too well on prednisone. Have you been taking your doses in the am? That can make a big difference.
Yep, I'm usually up-and-at-em at 5:00am and by 5:30am the pred is in my system.

Hey, It sucks that you were diagnosed right during college. I was diagnosed in my senior year of highschool so thankfully I was well enough off that missing a ton of classes didn't really affect me. I couldn't imagine not having my crohns under control and such during college. I just graduated college back in May but still job searching... :/

Anyways, these forums are a great place to get any of your questions answered.

Hey, It sucks that you were diagnosed right during college. I was diagnosed in my senior year of highschool so thankfully I was well enough off that missing a ton of classes didn't really affect me. I couldn't imagine not having my crohns under control and such during college. I just graduated college back in May but still job searching... :/

Anyways, these forums are a great place to get any of your questions answered.
Congrats on graduating! And yeah, I was right in the middle of my first major flare up while actually sitting in class. I had to drop my classes :(

Good luck on the job hunt!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Nik and welcome to the community :)

I think you're VERY smart for educating yourself about this disease. I have little doubt it will help you in the long term. The more you're able to advocate for yourself, the better. So good for you!

I hope you're able to get those 6 credits under your belt soon.

All my best to you :)

Hi Nik and welcome to the community :)

I think you're VERY smart for educating yourself about this disease. I have little doubt it will help you in the long term. The more you're able to advocate for yourself, the better. So good for you!

I hope you're able to get those 6 credits under your belt soon.

All my best to you :)
Thank you so much! :)

I learned from my experience in the hospital that I need to be my strongest advocate for myself because if I'm not, then who will, you know?