• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Same old New Story

Hi Everyone,
I was diagnosed with CD in 1996. I have been super stubborn about taking any medication and have been trying to manage my disease with diet and exercise since then. I have not been super successful. I have 2 children and have had one small bowel resection in 2005. This past summer has been super crappy (pun intended) and my family has suffered because of it. I just returned from NYC where I got a second opinion from my first CD doctor who I really trust the most and he said that if I did not get on Humira I was going to need another resection soon. And, at 42, loosing a couple feet of my small intestine is a big deal because chances are I will need a few more surgeries in my lifetime and I won't have that much more to loose.

So, long story....I am going to the gastro on Tuesday to get my Humira prescription. I know I have to get a lot of screenings before I start it. Part of me is ambivalent: I have been sick for so long now...who will I be as a well person? Sounds crazy, right? My children need their mom, though, so I am sure I will figure it all out.

Glad to have found this spot.

Astra

Hiya Banana
and welcome

I learnt the hard way too, I'm now OCD about taking my meds!
Pop over to the sub forum The Humira Club, lots of peeps in there to chat to.
Good to have you with us
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry you have had to go this route but I do hope the Humira can get you feeling well, as already mentioned we have a sub forum dedicated to this under our treatment section so do have a wander over to have a natter with the folks here.

Keep us updated on how you get on.

AB
xx

I have been a great dad for the past 25 years while I have managed my Crohns. Yea, my kids make fun of me and how much time I spend in the bathroom or how it smells afterwards but my kids love me. I am guessing that they are proud of me for continuing on with life and being a dad to them despite this illness.

Sending hugs your way, if you need anything don't be afraid to ask.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Banana and welcome to the community. :)

I can understand your desire to to manage the disease is a holistic manner but am glad you are also of the mind to take medications when necessary. My advice would be to do both. Continue to try and manage the disease with diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes but utilize the medication as well. I'm a big fan of the shotgun approach. Hit the disease from all angles.

Please keep us updated as to how you're doing.