• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Intro

I'm 30 years old and was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2008 after the birth of my son. During my pregnancy I developed a horribly painful abcess around my anus, only to find out later it was an anal fistula. After birth I was able to undergo a colonoscopy and confirm diagnosis of Crohn's Disease. A red draining seton was placed in that hightransverse fistula. I was placed on Pentasa 3000md daily and told to "watch my diet". In January 2012, I had another fistula form but much smaller and less painful. It too has a red draining seton through it. After a doctors appt this morning it appears I have yet another fistula that is making its way to the surface.

Doctors are trying to get me to start Remicade but I am hesistant because I am a student in nursing school. I am exposed to sick people all the time and taking a medication with Remicade (immunosuppressant) could be troublesome. I would leave to hear any stories (good or bad) about Remicade that you all have experienced.

I am on Humira which is an identical TNF blocker as Remicade except it is a fully human antibody where Remicade is Chimeric. Biologics only cause programmed cell death of a specific T cell, unlike steroids which just shut down everything. Since it also works so well on the disease you are healthier than you have been previously. I actually get less sick while on Humira. Fungal infections and people who have a cough should be avoided like the plague, Tuberculosis is a bigger worry for me than people with the common cold. Biologics are going to fix those abscesses and fistulas up real quick!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear about the ongoing problems your are having, I was on Remi a few years back and I don't recall that I picked up bugs anymore than I did before or since taking it. I had to stop it due to an allergic reaction to it after several months, I know for others here however that it has done a really good job. We have a sub forum dedicated to it so do check this out: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58.

We also have a fistula's/abscesses forum as well that you might like to have a wander over to as well so you can have a chat with the folks here about these as well.

Will keep fingers crossed that these can be sorted for you soon.

AB
xx

Hello Shermel2! *Hugs* I'm sorry you are feeling down lately but hopefully we can try to help that some! This is a really supportive forum. :heart:

I can understand why you are worried about being on Remicade given your employment. With the biologics, I only got the frequent infections when I first began them. After about a month or two I was/am fine. I go to school like any normal kid and do anything any normal person would. Also, I have had several doctors who are on Remicade/Humira themselves and they are fine. The infection risk with untreated disease is the same if you were to go on Remicade. Either way your immune system is comprimised. You would probably be shocked to know how many people are on these heavy duty drugs. Heck, after getting DX, I found out my neighbor takes Remicade for her RA and I never knew that before. I am on a biologic like Remicade-Cimzia-because Remicade gave me drug induced Lupus unfortunately. It works for many people and is great for fistulas!

I hope your Crohn's gives you a break in the near future :voodoo: It's a beast, but with support, proper nutrition, and proper medications, you can fight it! Take care!

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome.

Am I correct that you have fistulizing Crohn's disease and the only medication you're on, at present, is Pentasa?

If so, then I would strongly suggest taking a much stronger approach. If not Remicade, then I would look very hard at utilizing total enteral nutrition to see if you can get your disease under control. But at this point, I agree that Remicade is likely a good idea.

I wish you all the best!