Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Having surgery Wednesday

08-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
stella_luna

Having surgery Wednesday

This one a laparoscopic exploratory surgery to see why I keep having bowel obstructions despite no evidence of currently active Crohn's. My GI doc thinks it is adhesions and if it is, the surgeon hopes to fix them with the laporoscope. Please wish me luck . . . I would so love to find an answer and stop having bowel obx every few months . . .
08-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Good luck with the surgery!

I find it odd that they couldn't find a cause anywhere. I'm assuming they did all the usual tests like small and large bowel follow throughs, MRI, MRE, CT scan perhaps even an ultrasound?

Either way, hope you get it sorted soon. Obstructions are no fun at all. Keep us posted on how it goes!
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
08-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
stella_luna

Yep, In the last few months I've had all the tests you listed, plus colonoscopy, hydrogen breath test, and gut motility study. All normal, which is why the thought is that there's some mechanical problem, like adhesions. The surgeon said that there's obviously something wrong with my intestine, and at this point the only way to determine what is to go in with the laparoscope and see. I'm hoping that he finds something easily fixable so I can eat FOOD again! After 4 years of low fiber, no skins, no seeds, no fruit, no veg . . . if he fixes me, I can't even tell you how grateful I will be.
08-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Thermo

How did it go?

Meds - Humira, B-12 Injections, Vitamin D, Iron, VSL#3

Surgery - Open Ileocolic Resection July 24, 2012 (44cm removed 17 inches including appendix)

My Advice: Find a good GI, Primary Doctor, Optician, and spouse and stick with them, don't be afraid of the Biologics and 6 MP's if you hit the disease hard at diagnosis you fight off the natural progression and have a better quality of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC2VyIxiWmk
08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
stella_luna

Unsuccessful . No problems found, so no fix in sight, and dr is out of ideas. Devastated and can't stop crying.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Having surgery Wednesday