• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Me again

Hello all,

It's been a while since my last post. I have had a blood test done which showed antibodies for the parasite schistomasiosis. Took praziquantel three weeks ago and hopefully it has gone now. Still been having some pain every now and again. Will be having another blood test on 5 September and then if it's clear then another colonoscopy to see if there are still signs or ulcers. Then it's another MRI to see if the strictures are still there and if they are then it's onto steroids I go. If the steroids don't work then I will need to have surgery.

I am very grateful my doctor is keeping me in the loop and has a plan of action. So I might not have crohns and it could have been the parasite all along. Doc said they cause similar symptoms except for the strictures so there is still a small chance of crohns.

Wow!!schisto huh???im fairly impressed!its kind of rare except in developing countries like my placement in africa!how on earth do they think you contracted it??you poor thing! Let's hope it's limited to that and that you don't have crohns! Sending thoughts your way!

Angrybird

Thanks for the update hun, I was also wondering how they think you got this?

Also from the sounds of it the docs don't know what the strictures are caused by - inflammation or scarring?

AB
xx

I think I got it from Egypt about three years ago. But then again I have lived in the uk for 14 years but I am originally from south Africa but I don't think they live that long lol. Doc has said that he is very fascinated with my case and that he has read everything he can and no where does it state that they can cause strictures apparently.nhe said it could be. Case where they are causing everything or they could have been an innocent bystander.

Xx