• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

Hello, I was diagnosed with Crohns in Feb 2009 & on the 1st of August 2011 I had my 2nd Crohns flare up which Perforated a 5cm Tear in my small intestine.

I was rushed to hospital & I had a N-section where I later was told that I had 5 feet of my Large & Small intestine Removed..

It wasnt until 10 months had passed & I was informed that my Ileocecal valve was also removed....

Ive had 35 Bowel Movements a day (chronic Diahorrehea) Ive tried Physillium Husk, Questran Lite x 9 a day & it just made my BM's Worse....

I tried Lopermide Tablets worked but it would also make me severely bloated.....

Then I was told that I could Live on Codiene Tablets or a Colostomy bag & I take 8 x 30mg Tablets of Codine a day & now I havnt worn Adult Nappies in 8 weeks & Im starting too feel good again.....

Since my surgery in 2011, Ive been complaining of these 2 big lumps in my gut, they hurt at times & my GP diagnosed me with 2 Hernias, Sooooo I find out on the 23/8/2012 when they will fix these Hernias.....

Im Thankful that Im Alive as I woke up in the Intensive Care Unit as My Mother told me that during my surgery my heart had stopped & after a good Reboot, I now have a 2nd chance of Life.....

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear that you have had so many troubles. Out of interest what meds are you on (if any) for your crohns? Do I take it that the codeine is supposed to be a long term thing? I was under the impression that long term use of this was not a good thing so will you be monitored on this at all?

I hope they will be able to sort the hernias for you soon hun, you already have plenty to deal with without having these as well!

AB
xx

Oh my!
sounds like quite an ordeal, glad to hear that your alive, and hopefully on the road to healing! what medications/regimens are you taking for crohns?

To Angrybird Im not taking any medication ftor crohns as Ive had 2 Colonoscopys & on both occasions they tell me that there is No signs of Crohns so their not going to give me anything as it might dto the reverse......

My Gastroenterologist (hope I spelt it right) Says that I can Live on Codine for the rest of my Natural life as if I were a drug addict who took 20+ a day well then it would cause livery damage ......

I take 8 x 30mg of Codine (2 @ 6am, 2@10am, 2@3pm, 2@8pm) as this stops the Chronic Diahorrea & means I dont have to goto the tolet 30 - 40 times a day & I have 1 bowel movement a day & lm starting to Feel Good again

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

With all that intestine removed, are they monitoring various vitamin and mineral levels for you? The biggest one would be vitamin B12.

Re David
After my surgery l wasnt told to take B12 as they gave me Antibiotics & when l get homr from College, I will add the Meds although they didnt put me on ANY crohns preventive medication incase it dif the reverse effect & I do take these Antibiotics as I get alot of infections inside

David

Co-Founder
I'd definitely suggest requesting that they test your vitamin B12 levels then. The terminal ileum, which is sounds like you had a lot of removed, is where B12 is absorbed. And B12 deficiency is bad news.