• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

PoliSci Grad Student

Hello Everyone!

My name is Chris. I am a PhD student in political science at Purdue University. I was diagnosed two years ago, which is interesting considering my GI wasnt even looking for Crohns when he discovered it. After two years of very manageable, and almost non existent symptoms, I had my first major flare last week. Still trying to adjust, but I am getting better each day.

Angrybird

Hello Chris and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear that the tum is acting up again. Out of interest what meds (if any) have you been on, what have you been given to sort this current flare up? How did they find out that you had crohn's?

There is a lot of helpful info and support here so do have a good look around.

AB
xx

Just imuran for the past 2 years. Prednizone to stop the flare up, which seems to be helping quite a bit considering what I was going through a week and a half ago. My Crohns was discovered through a good old fashioned colonoscopy....which I am having another one next month.

Hi Chris,
So sorry to hear about your recent flare. I too am a PhD student, in history and finishing my dissertation. Now I live in Colorado to finish my writing but my degree is from Bowling Green State University (so I've been through Purdue!). I was diagnosed with crohn's in June of this year and it has completely turned my world upside down. My adviser suggested that I apply for an academic leave of absence for this semester so I don't have to pay tuition. Waiting to hear. How are you doing with your flare and work? My brain is mush and I am in so much pain, not conducive to writing at all.
Let me know how you are doing and about your program :)

Hello Amanda!

Great to meet you here! I am so very sorry about your condition. But as you know, your health is paramount. If it takes a month, a semester, or even a year, take care of yourself first. I am sure your committee will understand.

Honestly it hasnt affected me too much. I am the graduate student body president here, so keeping myself busy 24/7 gets my mind off the symptoms. I guess I am lucky in a way considering my symptoms aren't severe enough to incapacitate me. I was told I have a mild form of the disease when diagnosed, so if this is the worst it ever gets, I guess I am doing pretty well considering the stories I have read here.

I am curious, what is your subfield? Mine is state and local politics, specifically behavior in the state legislatures.

Hi Chris,

Wow, you are very active and I am thrilled crohn's hasn't slowed you down too much. I really hope it stays that way! I too feel blessed that I am not the "worst" off after reading so many people's experiences here. For me, I've always gone non-stop, brain and body, so this rest is a bit new to me. But you are right, I have to take care of myself. And you too! Make sure this doesn't get out of hand :)

As for my program, my field is US Women's History and I'm writing about the first shelter for battered women in the United States. Of course my interests are much broader and I oh so much miss teaching World History and US History. Your field sounds really interesting, what does it entail? How far along are you in your program?
Is West Lafayette gearing up for football season?!

I am only going into my 3rd year. I decided it would be a good idea to receive a second masters degree in social psychology, so that will probably set me back another year. Though in this job market, whats the rush?

State and local politics is interesting as a sub field because it only describes the unit of analysis, rather than some theoretical or methodology framework. In other words, its a free for all, making it a great sub field to experiment with. Plus its pretty civil relative to some other sub fields in polisci, so a lowly grad student like me finds myself quite welcome.

Apparently we are :p. A friend of mine in the department ran into the football team at a local bar, and I guess they are quite confident about making the Big Ten Championship (only because the better teams in the division were DQed).

Tell me about Bowling Green. How large is your department? What do you plan to do post PhD?

Hey Chris. I just graduated from Penn State with a bachelors in Poly Sci. Would love to hear your plans with your PhD. I'm am still looking for a job and considering getting my MBA but still unsure of everything

Absolutely! Penn State has a pretty strong polisci dept. Have you ever thought about an MPP or an MA in polisci? The MPP is pretty economics focused and could provide the perfect mix with polisci.

As for me I am a very practical person when it comes to politics. Even though the PhD really trains you to become a university researcher, its my sincere hope to do something much more hands on, perhaps at a think tank, congressional research office, or become a legislator myself.