• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone else have a story like this

Hi there, my symptoms started about two years ago. They were gradual at first and I was just diagnosed with hemerrhoids after noticing blood in the toilet. So I went about my business, I was sick a lot but nothing too bad and I was still having blood in my stool but I just thought it was the hemerrhoids.

Recently enough I started to get severe pains in my upper abdomen, bloated and gaseous and then I started to get sharp pains in my lower right stomach. But here's the catch, no diarhea and I did some bloodwork and it was completely normal. As far as I'm aware diarhea and elevated white cell count are preconditions for Crohn's. I also had one of the rarer symptoms of an anal fissure. I was considering Crohn's disease because of family history but I always thought it was something else because of me not having any of the most common symptoms. So I go for my colonoscopy Thursday and there's inflammation in my ileum and I'm going for a barium follow through in two weeks time to check for fistulas and stricturing.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? I know I've had enough of the symptoms to warrant it being Crohn's but when you don't have the most common symptoms it really throws you off.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

The thing with crohn's is there are so many ways it can present itself and everyone is different with it. Many look out for diahhroea but some actually get constipated and I have heard of a couple of cases where tummy issues was one of the last symptoms to occur after headaches and skin problems. Do I take it from what you have said that someone in your family has crohn's? Also have you had your scope or it that to come in Thursday? If you are still waiting for this what test confirmed the inflammation? Have you been given any meds yet?

AB
xx

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

The thing with crohn's is there are so many ways it can present itself and everyone is different with it. Many look out for diahhroea but some actually get constipated and I have heard of a couple of cases where tummy issues was one of the last symptoms to occur after headaches and skin problems. Do I take it from what you have said that someone in your family has crohn's? Also have you had your scope or it that to come in Thursday? If you are still waiting for this what test confirmed the inflammation? Have you been given any meds yet?

AB
xx
I have had a colonoscopy and it showed up inflammation, they took samples for biopsy but its all but confirmed its Crohn's. I have a family history and I do not have any meds yet.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

I'm sorry to hear that it is indeed probably Crohn's :( I was going to echo that it doesn't take those more common symptoms to equate to being Crohn's but I guess that doesn't matter now.

When do you find out what treatment you're going to receive?

Again, welcome to the community.

Hi there and welcome :)

I'm sorry to hear that it is indeed probably Crohn's :( I was going to echo that it doesn't take those more common symptoms to equate to being Crohn's but I guess that doesn't matter now.

When do you find out what treatment you're going to receive?

Again, welcome to the community.
Thanks David, I have to wait for my biopsy results before I start my treatment, its only a matter of confirming it. I'm not gonna hope its not it because the doctor basically said it was Crohn's. I have to go for a barium follow through on the 7th of September to check for stricturing and such and then I meet my GI doc on the 21st and I guess thats when I start m medicine.