• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

UPDATE : no Oral thrush ..Just crohn's

my little penguin

Staff member
So I took DS to the ped's today.
On-call GI was concerned and wanted an MD to look at him.
He has white ulcers inside both cheeks of his mouth and on his gums.

Because of Ds's hand blister - he thought hand foot mouth disease

Blister is mostly gone.
Feet are fine...so no hand foot mouth disease.

Checked mouth ulcers and said it was not thrush.

WE have not had bad ulcers yet until now.:ybatty:

so apparently crohn's is flaring more...just great

Ped with call on call GI and let us know if there is a change of plan but for now keep him hydrated to avoid inpatient and rinse with maalox/benadryl.:yrolleyes:

Maalox is on back order so I need to find out if mylanta will work.:ymad:

anyone know if you can use mylanta instead????

Sorry to hear about the blisters in his mouth. My daughter did have hand, foot and mouth and it wasn't nice! Not sure about the med you mentioned, but an old fashioned remedy is to rinse the mouth out with salt dissolved in warm water (I use boiled water cooled down so that it's more germ free).

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the update mlp.

Oh man, I was so hoping it wouldn't be that. :voodoo:

Well before Matt's CD was on the radar he was plagued by mouth ulcers, so I researched quite a bit and eventually settled on giving him a B Complex supplement. It did take care of the problem. Dexky's EJ had issues with mouth ulcers too and he settled on B complex plus a mouth wash called Scope White, the combination worked a treat for EJ.

I have never heard of Maalox, maybe they don't sell it here. I would ask the pharmacist for a suitable replacement.

Dusty. xxx

C had ulcers all throughout his mouth during the dx journey and the maalox cocktail worked really well and quickly too! Hope he finds relief quickly.

Edit: Sorry forgot the main part of my response :ybatty: As a mouthwash to help with the pain the cocktail of benedryl and Maalox or Mylanta can be used or so C's GI rx'ed. We happened to have Maalox but either is apparently fine.

We have gotten something called magic mouthwash that works great. Your doctor has to call it in. It is a mix of Maalox,benadryl, and lidocaine to numb the pain. I think sometimes they also put an anti fungal agent as well to prevent any thrush from forming. One of my other kids gets the mouth ulcers a lot and it really helps her.

Tesscorm

Staff member
MLP - are the dry, cracked lips related to the sores? When my daughter was younger, she often had dry, cracked lips to the point that even a thin strip of skin along the lips would become red and chapped... I think, in her case, it was caused by blocked sinuses (allergies, colds, etc.) and our cold winters/dry heating. It would lead to her breathing through her mouth, drying her lips and then she would constantly 'lick' her lips to try to moisten them (which, I've been told, actually worsens the dryness). I bought her some medicated lip balm (just OTC) and it really helped her. But, I did have to keep reminding her to use it regularly and not lick her lips. I also bought her a few so she had one in her coat pocket, one in her knapsack, etc.