• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain in the butt

I am a Crohn's disease patient who has had the disease for 16 years. I have had my large bowel/colon removed due to what was thought to be a very harsh case of colitis but was later found to be Crohn's. I have an internal pouch that was created at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I have been on Imuran since 1999. I live a very normal life by the standards of my patients in that I can eat a variety of things, exercise regularly, and feel okay most of the time.

I do have a question for anyone out there though. I also have had an anal fistula/abscess since 2007. I started taking a larger dosage of Imuran after a fisutalotomy and it helped to some extent. I have to take 2-3 sits-bathes a day to keep it clean and the swelling down. A drain was inserted into the tissue during the fistulatomy and it drains puss, blood, and stool (since it reaches into my bowel). My local chapter of Crohn's/Colitis support group was supportive but no one there had ever had one before. Can anyone provide me with any 1) ways that I have not thought of to help lessen its impact and 2) any ways to help it heal (I realize this may not happen).

Thanks

Angrybird

Hello and welome to the forum, there is a lot of helpful info and support here so I am glad you have decided to join :)

I have not had a fistula myself so could not advise on what would help with these, we do have a sub forum dedicated to them though so please do check this out as the folks here can certainly give some assistance: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76.

I will be keeping fingers crossed that that things can improve for you soon.

AB
xx