Share Facebook

08-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
L-Glutamine

I know the studies don't really prove its efficacy with regards to IBD but so many recommend it so I figured it can't hurt.

I took 5,000 mg last night. A bit high and will probably do half that from now on.

First morning in a long time without waking up in the middle of the night and going with explosive diarrhea. ::fingers crossed::

It's hypothesized by natural practitioners that it helps with diarrhea and heals the intestinal lining.
08-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
livegreen

I thought that this was for Arthritis pain. I have Arthritis linked to Crohn's. Do you suppose this will help?
08-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22038507

Small trial with good results.
08-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the study ctrl z. As for whether it can be good for arthritis. Maybe? It's proposed to be possibly good for joint pain.
08-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I haven't gone to the bathroom in over 24 hours, this is either a miracle supplement or something is wrong. I usually run to the bathroom with diarrhea daily and many times.
08-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
hugh

My Support Groups:
another study....
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/12/2481.full
08-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
kiny

It's hypothesized by natural practitioners that it helps with diarrhea and heals the intestinal lining.
that's not hypothesized, it's true, glutamine is involved in tissue repair and wound healing

not just natural practitioners use it, ask a hospital what they give a patient with severe bleeding by trauma, often it includes glutamine at 30-50 grams through IV

But if it helps a lot with crohn, I don't know, nor are studies in agreement, your body is able to produce glutamine and the uptake in people with crohn isn't abnormally low, I take it, since it has a very high toxicity limit.
08-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
If it heals intestinal lining it should work in CD too. The jury is out on it.
08-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
kiny

If it heals intestinal lining it should work in CD too. The jury is out on it.
Studies show mixed effects, I know of 2 studies that showed no effect, and at least as many that did.

It also depends on the place where you have crohn, the small intestine use glutamine extensively, the colon does not.
08-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Well it certainly can't hurt in normal doses.
09-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
bmulherin

It helps heal the intestinal lining. It can help with the Diahrea.
Read the book Listen To Your Gut by Jini Patel Thompson.
She has Crohns and gives allot of ideas on helping heal. She
uses probotics. I recommend this book.
09-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I was going to read her book till I followed her oregano oil steps and got back to flaring badly.
09-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
KatyBuckeye

I've been using glutamine. I take several supplements, so it's hard to say exactly what is working, but something is I've been feeling great. The studies are mixed, but I certainly don't think it's going to hurt.

**Check out my blog at http://www.thepaleonurse.com/blog

**Like my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/PaleoNurse
09-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I've been using glutamine. I take several supplements, so it's hard to say exactly what is working, but something is I've been feeling great. The studies are mixed, but I certainly don't think it's going to hurt.
What else are you taking Katy?
09-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
KatyBuckeye

What else are you taking Katy?
I use digestive enzymes and betatine-hcl with every meal. I take fish oil, tumeric, boswellia, l-glutamine, and colostrum. The colostrum is lactose-free, but I think it still has casein in it. I think all of these supplements are really helping, although my diet is probably the most important thing.
04-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
***Lisa***
Forum Monitor

I haven't gone to the bathroom in over 24 hours, this is either a miracle supplement or something is wrong. I usually run to the bathroom with diarrhea daily and many times.
Hi NoGutsNoGlory:

Are you still taking the glutamine? Has it continued to help control your diarrhea? I'm considering having my daughter take it. What dosage are you taking?

Thanks!

Lisa
04-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
kel
Forum Monitor

Glutamine always seems to make my stomach feel better. It plays a crucial part in intestinal regeneration (also has MANY other roles). Glutamine is so abundant in the body already I don't think you can overdo it easily, 5 grams if anything is on the low side. I take 10 g a day but for a smaller person a smaller dosage makes sense. I suggest this product, it's what I use myself.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00014D944
04-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
rollinstone

Lglutamine is also a pre cursor to glutathione, I take a supplement that has glutamine along with the other precursors and have had positive results
04-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
***Lisa***
Forum Monitor

So good to know. Thank you both for the advice. I think I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and have my daughter give it a try. Fingers crossed!!
04-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
EthanClark

My Support Groups:
I have found that taking it on an empty stomach will help more to decrease diarrhea. It can stop you up which can really hurt if you are used to the D so start out on a lower dose and work your way up to desired amount.
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
***Lisa***
Forum Monitor

I have found that taking it on an empty stomach will help more to decrease diarrhea. It can stop you up which can really hurt if you are used to the D so start out on a lower dose and work your way up to desired amount.
Good advice. Will do. Thanks!
04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #22
livegreen

I started taking it a couple of weeks ago and I had really good luck with it healing my Chronic Gastritis.
04-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
kel
Forum Monitor

Funny how everyone responds differently, taking my typical dose mixed with juice seems to cause me some stomach upset if I haven't eaten. I always take mine after a meal.
04-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #24
kel
Forum Monitor

So good to know. Thank you both for the advice. I think I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and have my daughter give it a try. Fingers crossed!!
Please let us know what brand you get and if you notice improvement! Probably will take a week or few weeks to see results.
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #25
livegreen

Funny how everyone responds differently, taking my typical dose mixed with juice seems to cause me some stomach upset if I haven't eaten. I always take mine after a meal.
I would not mix it with juice, just plain water. Juice can cause Fructose Malabsorbtion (sp?) and cause IBS symptoms. I am avoiding juice for now, just a little Pomegranate or orange juice about 2oz here and there in a recipe..
04-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #26
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I took this for months on the advice of a nutritionist who believed I had "leaky gut". It did nothing whatsoever for me.
04-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #27
kel
Forum Monitor

I took this for months on the advice of a nutritionist who believed I had "leaky gut". It did nothing whatsoever for me.
Luckily even if it does not work for you it is very inexpensive and has almost no side effects
04-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #28
amrycrohns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I take Amino Acids in general, Supplement I take has 5 grams of L-Glutamine and many other Amino Acids.
04-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #29
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Luckily even if it does not work for you it is very inexpensive and has almost no side effects
True it had no side effects - it would have been better if it did something good though!
05-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #30
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

im seeing my naturopath today Im going to talk to him about combined Glutamine and Arginine. Im always a bit scared though to take natural products since I take a immonu-supressant (purinethol) and wonder if one can inhibit the effect of the other...
thoughts anyone?

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).