• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questions?

Hello all,My name is Wendy and I was just diagnosed with Crohns on Aug.16,2012..The dr.first told me I had UC.He did another blood test and told me it was Crohns..I had a colonoscopy in march of this year and thats what started this road Im on...I have had diarrhea for years and my dr told me it was caused by my Diabetic meds..Finally I insisted something was wrong and she ordered a colonoscopy.I am not in a flare and have been on asacol hd for about a month.However my right side is hurting and very hard to the touch.I called my GI and the nurse told me to watch it over the weekend.I just dont know if this pain is something I should be concerned with or not.Its been there for about 3 weeks now...

Hello all,My name is Wendy and I was just diagnosed with Crohns on Aug.16,2012..The dr.first told me I had UC.He did another blood test and told me it was Crohns..I had a colonoscopy in march of this year and thats what started this road Im on...I have had diareha for years and my dr told me it was caused by my Diabetic meds..Finally I insisted something was wrong and she ordered a colonoscopy.I am not in a flare and have been on asacol hd for about a month.However my right side is hurting and very hard to the touch.I called my GI and the nurse told me to watch it over the weekend.I just dont know if this pain is something I should be concerned with or not.Its been there for about 3 weeks now...
Hi Wendy :) When you say "very hard to the touch", do you mean there is a lump or something? Does it hurt extra when you touch it, or is it really warm?

Angrybird

Hello Wendy and welcome to the forum :)

I am glad to hear that you have already notified your GI team as that would be my first suggestion if you hadn't yet. Has the 'hard to the touch' feeling been there for the 3 weeks as well? How bad is the pain on a scale of one to ten? I would say it is something that needs to be checked considering your recent diagnosis. Are you perhaps able to get back onto them today about this to see if they can start arranging for you to be seen? I am not sure what they think will happen over the weekend to change things considering you have had this symptom for 3 weeks already.....

AB
xx

Thanks for the answers back.when I touch my side it feels hard but it doesnt hurt to touch it,nor does it feel warm.Last night and today I have been really cold but not running a fever.also have the chills and if you knew me this is not me.I am ALWAYS very hot and sweaty.the pain is not severe more like a twinge if you can understand that:)
Im glad I decided to join this site.Thanks again angry bird!!!and Crohnsguy!!!::rosette2:

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
Hi Wendy and welcome :)

Out of curiosity, do you know if your Crohn's disease is only in your colon or is it also in your small intestine?

Out of curiosity, is the diabetes medication you're on Metformin?

I'm glad you joined. Again, welcome!

Yes my diabetic med is metformin and I really dont know yet how bad the crohns is.The surgeon who did my colonscopy said it was my entire colon that was effected.I only spoke to the GI over the phone when he told me it was crohns after a blood test.Thanks for the welcome David it is so nice to know I have somewhere to go and everyone is in the same boat as me..:)

Hi Wendy, I am in the same boat as far the my right side hurting when it is being touched, my doctor does his normal exam and I about go through the roof sometimes when he hits my lower right side and we both know that its from my Crohn's being in the ileum. And sometimes I just get this shooting pain like someone is sticking me with a needle in that area also. We have been through thick and thin my GI and myself. We are starting on cimzia and if doesnt work, he suggests surgery.

If ya need to talk you can email me I usually check on here at least once sometimes twice a day if I am working or not.

Thx.Jami.I REALLY appreciate it.I am really frustrated and dont know if I can wait until the 20th to see my GI.I am extemely tired and my body hurts all the time.I have had family members addited to pain pills and I dont want to be dependant on them but when I hurt what am i suppose to do.I am a bit down today sorry for venting.

Oh, I completely understand about the whole pain medication, I work on a surgical floor. Seeing people coming in with the same thing I do and that is all they are there for is pain meds, when their labs and everything else is normal, sometimes I just want to scream...but who is to say they are not in pain also. If you want me to I will email ya my number if ya want to talk to someone feel free!!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Wendell,

The reason I asked about the diabetic medication is metformin is known to interfere with vitamin B12 absorption. And people with Crohn's disease are also commonly deficient in vitamin B12. So with BOTH of those, the chances that you are low in vitamin B12 is extremely high (which is bad) so I strongly suggest you request that your doctor test you for it.

David

Co-Founder
If you are indeed deficient in vitamin B12 due to Crohn's then the amount of B12 in a B Complex with likely be nowhere near enough. Getting tested is the key so you can find out and determine optimal dosage over time.