• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis/Undetermined

Well...I will be 34 this year and was diagnosed in my early 20s after multiple hospital stays. First I had ulcerative colitis, then Crohn's Disease now my doctor says undetermined. I just tell people Crohn's Disease because that sounds more serious than "stomach problems." Many people don't understand this illness and they think "Oh stomach pain...you will get over it." I am very lucky to have a supporitive family and husband. My mom is an RN and knows my illness very well. My grandmother and cousin are also diagnosed with this illness. In 2007 I had an my first surgery and am now the proud owner of a stoma..:) I cried at first, but now it is part of my life and you get used to it. I had my second surgery in 2011 to repair a hernia and now I may have a third surgery. My doctor wants to try a hernia belt first..I am hoping that will help with some of the pull and weight on my stomach..I am tired of looking "half pregnant" if you know what I mean. I take pentasa, iron, vitamins, effexor and vicodin and I work a full time job. I want to work and thanks to my pain mgmt doctor I can. My GI referred me and so far so good. I get tired of people thinking you are a drug addict if you take pain medicine because not only do I like to work, but I need to work. The hardest thing besides the pain is the aches and lack of energy, but I try to take one day at a time. As I mentioned I have a great husband we just had our 9th wedding anniversary and he has put up with a lot, but he still sticks by me. Just like me we all know what foods to avoid, but I hate to admit I do slip sometimes. I love ice cream, ranch dressing, and salad. Just like any other person on a diet you splurge and then you may or may not regret it, but having a colostomy helps. I have never posted anything like this before, but I just wanted to get my story out there and talk to other people. I may not be an expert, but I can give advice based on my experiences if anyone has questions. Like try to stay away from seeds, nuts, and corn. If you like oatmeal or stuff with fiber limit yourself(we don't need help with being regular...:):) Get enough rest and try not to stress yourself out. Doctors say "stress" should not make your illness worse, but trust me it does. Try not to take things out on people and if you feel like crying then just do...be honest with people about your illness and help them understand.

Welcome to the forum, sweetsara1978!

It sounds like you have a spectacular support system behind you. That truly makes all the difference with this type of disease. Check out the stoma forum for the rest of us ostomates. We do have a good time over there.. :)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

It looks like you have a really good attitude towards things and I am pleased you are able to work. Out of interest what vitamins are you taking? Crohn's wise I take it the tum is settled?

AB
xx