• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting used to Crohn's.

Completely new to all of this, talking about things online. But since I have been diagnosed with Crohn's talking about it seems to make it easier to feel okay about it, if that makes sense? ha.

I am 22 years old got diagnosed in January, spent christmas in and out of hospital undergoing hospital treatments.

Now that I have been diagnosed I feel that people need to be more aware of IBD, I spent 2 years thinking that I had IBS after seeing a doctor for constantly going to the toilet.It was only when I found myself with a horrible pain in my side that I revisitied the doctor.They found a lump in my lower abdomen so I was sent straight down for tests, everything was investigated within 4 weeks of my first doctors appointment and after a colonoscopy I was put on presidolone steroids, they said I had crohn's of the whole large colon. ( I vaguely remember being in terrible pain from the colonscopy and they said my bowel was so red and sore that they couldn't believe I had been living this way). To go with this I had also lost around three stone in the space of 5 months, at the point I went to the doctors i weighed 7stone from 11stone 3.

After the steroids I was put on azathioprine an immune suppresant and since then (touch wood) I have never felt better! Before diagnosis having crippling tummy aches every day was just a usual occurence.Now I have no stomach cramps,no lumps in my abdomen and have a normal toilet pattern.

I wish I new about this site when I was first undergoing treatment as the hospital dont tell you a great deal, and it is really hard to get your head around the word 'disease'.

As I said I am glad that this site is available to help people with or going through investigation for IBD.So many things in magazines list all the symptoms of crohn's and collitus and the advice is always you have IBS, I wish I was aware of these bowel diseases before as I would have saved myself alot of pain!

But yeah I have never written on a blog site before so this might sound really stupid, but it would be nice to have and be able to give support to people who are going through the same thing. It's nice to see im not alone! :)

:ybiggrin:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately it is quite common to be told you have IBS when in fact it is something like crohn's. I am pleased though that you did finally get the correct diagnosis and on a working treatment - just to confirm you are on routine blood tests for the Aza? What dosage have they got you on?

I am glad you have decided to join, there is a lot of helpful info and support here so do have a good nosy around.

AB
xx