• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Calorie/carb question for SCD/Paleo/low carb followers

nogutsnoglory

To anyone following the SCD, Paleo or Low Carb diets. What is your average carbohydrate and calorie consumption?

I'm flaring so I can't eat as I normally would but im finding it difficult to get more than 700 calories per day. I know I should get over 2,000.

I'd say I get about 60-70 carbs a day too.

Should I be concerned or is this all Standard American Diet science hype?

700 calories isn't nearly enough. Most USDA info isn't accurate, but the approximate calorie needs aren't too far off. I average 2800 or 2900 calories. I'm female, 28 years old, and athletic (although I've been taking it very easy since my diagnosis). About 30% of the total calories are from carbs., 50-55% from fats. It's been suggested to me that the total from carbs could be lower if I was still having problems. Try increasing your fat intake. Can you add coconut oil to fruit or veggie smoothies? Or even to the bone/meat broths. Add olive oil to veggies, etc.

kiny

yes, 700 calories is way too low

I think calorie intake is severely lowered in SCD, not only because you take in less calories through carbs, but to synthesise protein properly you need carbs.