• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

"Fibre" Treatment Not Helping - HELP! :(

So I went to my Gastro doc two weeks ago, and he has started treating me with Konsyl-D powdered fibre. So I did two days worth of Pico-Prep (what we use in NZ for the two days prior to a colonoscopy for that lovely "clean out") and then started with two teaspoons of fibre in a large glass of water each morning.

So far, I've been on this stuff for 1.5 weeks and have had just three BM's - which were all extremely hard and painful, and caused tears/fissures. In the few hours leading up to the BM's - I've had AWFUL cramps and stabbing pains. I am a tall (nearly 6ft) slim female, but my stomach is so bloated it looks like I'm 5 months pregnant! :(

I drink 2-3 litres of water per day and eat healthily also - so I'm not sure how this fibre stuff can be doing so much more harm than good?

HELPS! Anyone else have any experience with this? Or other ideas?!:stinks:

To date, I've had a Colonoscopy (not done by current GI) and a Pill Camera Endoscopy - both which have supposedly turned up no Crohn's. Gastro dude has diagnosed me with Crohn's though, and has said I need to do a month on this fibre stuff and he does a Colonoscopy himself. He has hinted that the first Colonoscopy was done by someone who isn't that "reputable" in his experience with things like IBD... :stinks:

Even if the last person was not reputable, can you get his pics from the Colonoscopy to show your current doc? I would think they should be able to tell from that and biopsies and give a second opinion. A thought. One thought on the fiber causing more bloating is if you are allergic to it or sensitive to it. I can not take any fiber suppllements, since all I have found have corn in it and corn will make me bloat and have pregnant stomach look as well as constipation. A thought to consider. I would question why he would do colonoscopy without that full prep cleanout. That does not make sense to me and I would question that new doc, if he is diong it only after fiber cleanse.

I am doing much research on probiotics and pue yogurt and its affects on Crohns and other health issues. You can goole it (probiotics and effect on Crohns) and some amazing studies came up. The probiiotics have to have the certain bacteria in it, but it is fascinating and encouraging. I have been taking daily probiotics (some times up 5o 5/day if I get the heavy bloating) and have seen great results. It will now be my daily pill. In addition, there are some studies about PURE yogurt's daily intake and the positive effect on the body. Perhaps some of that reading may help. Good luck!

It takes time for the system to adjust to fibre, even in supplement form...you have to be patient...maybe up your water intake until you find it's starting to adjust for you...you can also add prunes/prune juice to aid with constipation but fibre generally aids with both C and D and is your friend not foe...you have to be careful with it, starting with a small amount and increasing slowly and only if necessary.

You also have to be careful with fibre if you tend to have blockage/stricturing issues as well.

Maybe cut down the amount you're currently taking, take it every other day (wean yourself onto it slowly) for the first week, then every 2 days in a row the second week and so on until you're taking it everyday. Once your system adjusts, you shouldn't have any bloating or excess gas issues since fibre aids with those issues (did for me, and very well I might add).

Good luck!

Hi Mickey - sorry I wasn't that clear in what I wrote. I will be doing the full bowel prep before another colonoscopy. The GI has just put me on a month's trial of this fibre stuff to see how that works for me.

Hi pb - I started slowly on the fibre, 2 teaspoons per day and then gradually upped it. It feels like it's making things A LOT worse rather than helping :( I have tried fibre/psyllium/metamucil before and it's never helped me - always bloats me and makes me nauseas.

I have consumed a lot of prune juice and prunes (and kiwi fruit) in the past and none of these has any effect on me :(

Getting really over feeling like this and my tummy is so swollen and bloated that I don't fit any of my usual clothes!

Leese, I strongly recommen you try a different fibre supplement...they are not all created equal and even though your doc made a suggesion, mos doc's won't take into consideration that many brands contain junky stuff (sugar substitues/artificial sweeteners, etc) in them that will actually aggrivate our symptoms, but don't relate it to that, instead to the fibre...I would try a different brand and start with a small amount and wait until your system adjusts BEFORE you increase the amount since you may not have to increase at all.

I use one called Prodiem fibre supplements (canada) and they are pill form, therefore do not have any added garbage in them that will aggrivate my system and it has done me wonders...my GI told me to take them indefinitely and it's been 9 yrs now...all benefit, no issues....When I first started taking them, in the first 3 months it gave me excess gas and bloating, but the was the adjustment period, after that, no more bloating at all and very little gas....well worth it!