Share Facebook

09-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

Colloidal silver?

Has anyone here used this for IBD? My 11 year old daughter has mild ulcerative colitis, and has been on med for 3 (almost 4) years now. I was talking to someone a few days ago who mentioned Colloidal silber. They told me to research it and consider trying it. I have been looking around the net, but figured what better place to ask. From what I've been told it rids the body of bacteria and reduces inflamation. If you have any experience either way, please let me know. Thank you

Devynn (12 years old) was *unoficially* diagnosed with Crohn's disease in Dec 2009.
That diagnosis was changed to Ulcerative Colitis in Mar 2012.
Pentasa ASA Dec 2009-Mar 2012 (dosage tweaked a couple of times)
Mezavant Mar 2012- Nov 2012
Sulfasalazine-Nov 2012
09-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Here is a thread from several years ago that talks about it. http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...lloidal+silver

I don't have any personal experience with it myself.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
09-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
bangarang

Over the years I heard so many good things about it but the chance of it turning your skin blue scares me away from it. Granted the people taking it probably took huge dosage but still.
09-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
David
Co-Founder

It's one of the "miracle cures" that has no scientific backing that I can find. If anyone can find any reputable studies that showcase its efficacy, by all means, please share them as I'd hate to be providing misinformation.
09-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
rygon

My Support Groups:
What Ive read about it i'd stay well clear. It seems its a great disinfectant, but much like bleach, it does differ from good living cells to bad so will destroy anything in its path.

So good for external use but dangerous for internal use (chekc out wikipedia for more info)
09-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

Thank you for all the replies. I have a friend who swears by it, has for years. She told me to try it for my daughter long before she was diagnosed. From what I've read you would have to drink a whole lot to change your skin colour. I will read up on it I would never give it to my daughter without asking her doctor first either.
09-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Jandeacs

I had it and used it externallly at first , personally I think its overated , its good for healing external wounds, but internal ???? its a different system mucous,In the early days before diagnosis i tried the whole entire alternative route .. but if your bowel is reacting internally to your own immune system, need i say more. rheumatiod arthritis is an auto-immune illness too .. I wish you every succes with your dr's and your daughter , she has youth and a good immunity on her side , take good care xxx
09-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Colloidal Silver is a very controversial and polarising treatment for various ailments. I have no personal experience and as David has said it is difficult to find reputable studies if at all.

I posted this in an old thread about Colloidal Silver...

This is a a bulletin put out by the Australian Government and refers to chronic ingestion of colloidal silver-

Dangers associated with chronic ingestion of colloidal silver
ADRAC has received four reports of silver toxicity (argyria) following ingestion of homemade products containing colloidal silver (tiny particles of metallic silver suspended in liquid) prepared using a "colloidal silver generator":

A 5 year old boy who ingested colloidal silver daily for several months developed grey discolouration of skin and tongue and abnormal hepatic function.
An elderly man who drank colloidal silver daily for 6 months required hospital admission for debilitating fatigue accompanied by blue skin discolouration, dilated cardiomyopathy, amnesia and incoherent speech.
An elderly man consuming liquid made using a "colloidal silver generator" over a 4 year period developed grey skin discolouration.
An adult male ingesting homemade colloidal silver daily for 3 years and also applying it topically after shaving developed generalised skin discolouration.
In each case, the plasma silver concentration was many times higher than in subjects not knowingly exposed to silver (background levels up to 2.3 g/L have been reported1).

There are no products containing colloidal silver approved for marketing in Australia.2 With the exception of registered topical silver preparations, there is no evidence to support the safety or efficacy of silver regardless of its form or method of manufacture.3 In addition, silver has no known nutritional benefit and its well-defined toxicity can occur with all forms of the metal, including silver salts and colloids3,4 Despite this, claims of therapeutic benefit continue to be made for colloidal silver products.

While the TGA will take action to stop the supply of unapproved colloidal silver products that make therapeutic claims, "colloidal silver generators" are currently exempt from regulation and therefore remain available in Australia.

Argyria is the main toxicity associated with chronic ingestion or topical absorption of silver, including colloidal forms of silver. It is characterised by an irreversible, generalised blue-grey discoloration of the subepithelial layer of skin. Later, the entire skin, deep tissues, mucous membranes, nails, conjunctiva, cornea, and lens may be affected.

Argyria discolouration may be misdiagnosed as cyanosis, methaemoglobinaemia or haemochromatosis. Other toxicities associated with ingested silver may include peripheral neuropathies, seizures, and haematological, cardiac, hepatic and nephrotoxic derangements.3,4

ADRAC has received no reports of argyria associated with legitimate therapeutic goods containing presentations of silver that remain appropriate, for example, topical silver nitrate for neonatal conjunctivitis or silver sulfadiazine for burns.

Patients seeking information on claimed benefits of colloidal silver should be advised of the lack of evidence for therapeutic benefit and the potential for toxicity associated with colloidal silver preparations. Patients should be strongly discouraged from using products made with "colloidal silver generators".

Reference
Wan A T et al. Determination of silver in blood urine and tissues of volunteers and burn patients. Clin. Chem. (1991); 37:1683
http://www.tga.gov.au/docs/html/csilver.htm
Federal Register: August 17, 1999 (Volume 64, Number 158) [Rules and Regulations] Over-the-Counter Drug Products Containing Colloidal Silver Ingredients or Silver Salts
White J et al. Severe generalized argyria secondary to ingestion of colloidal silver protein. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology 2003; 28: 254-256
Dusty. xxx
09-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

Thank you I figured it was too good to be true lol But stranger things have happened so I thought I'd ask. I would never try giving her anything without talking to her dr first. I have been reading and will keep on reading.
09-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Good luck hun. I well know the drive and desire to do everything we can for our children.

Dusty. xxx
09-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
ekay03
My dog has hands!

Look at this website http://cancertutor.com. My dad has worked w/ this stuff. This is the place he told me to send you. I hope this helps. Good luck
09-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #12
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

Thank you, I skimmed throug it and didn't see a thing about colloidal silver, but I will look again, I have the page open
09-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
kiny

Colloidal silver kills bacteria they claim. Acid detergent kill bacteria too, and so does bleech from your local shop, do you just swallow them down too?

What about the silver, if someone has ulcers inflammation, wounds, that silver is not going to cause an immune response there? your body is just going to clear it out without issues? I doubt it.

Only non-pharmaceutical antibiotic I know of that has shown to be somewhat safe in very low dose is essential oils, and even they can cause issues if you don't take them properly, cause it's really concentrated and it can still cause inflammation of mucosa, and it wasn't even tested on people on IBD.
09-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
kiny

09-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #15
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
I tried it and made me feel sick like i had a bad flare as soon as i stopped it i felt great
10-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Cbail

I've been using it for almost 2 years off and on with probiotics and continue to. By the research i've done, I have found it to be perfectly safe. I make it myself using my own machine I bought because it's way over priced on the internet or in health stores.

My Crohn's seems to be different than in most because I absolutely do not respond to any of the conventional meds prescribed to me. I am by no means cured or in what I call remission, but i'm doing much better than when I was on the medication(Remicade, Asacol, many others) and also better than when taking nothing at all. It definitely helps me.

Let me know if you have any questions
LDN//Seacure whitefish capsules//VSL#3// various alt. treatments

No luck with Remicade, Asacol, or Flagyl.

Last edited by David; 10-03-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: email removed
10-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
Jennifer
Adminstrator

My grandparents got suckered into buying that crap and not long after they were wondering why they both had diarrhea. My grandpa stopped taking it because I told him it does more harm that good to ingest that stuff and his diarrhea went away completely. Now my grandma is the only one with diarrhea and doesn't know why...

Turning blue or grey is possible as mentioned and was more common with the first silver products that came out because the dose was higher and it contained more silver but that doesn't mean it isn't possible with the newer silver solution they made up in their garage.

If there's no scientific evidence that supports its claims than stay away from it.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
10-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
LittleChloe

My Support Groups:
We used colloidal silver to get over c diff and Chloe felt like it helped her so we kept giving it to her. She takes about 4 tablespoons a day. In contrast the famous " blue guy" drank a liter a day for 14 years. Pm me if you have questions.
10-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
Cbail

My grandparents got suckered into buying that crap and not long after they were wondering why they both had diarrhea. My grandpa stopped taking it because I told him it does more harm that good to ingest that stuff and his diarrhea went away completely. Now my grandma is the only one with diarrhea and doesn't know why...

Turning blue or grey is possible as mentioned and was more common with the first silver products that came out because the dose was higher and it contained more silver but that doesn't mean it isn't possible with the newer silver solution they made up in their garage.

If there's no scientific evidence that supports its claims than stay away from it.
Just curious, what are they taking it for? It helps to also take probiotics. All antibiotics cause diarrhea, even the ones prescribed for Crohn's such as Flagyl.
10-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Sometimes you would see adds at the bottom of the threads so I'd also like to add that any add that popped up containing silver products got deleted because of their lack of scientific backing and that the majority of people who ingest these products report getting sick.
10-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
Cbail

Remicade had an add on tv. It also made me sick.
10-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Just curious, what are they taking it for? It helps to also take probiotics. All antibiotics cause diarrhea, even the ones prescribed for Crohn's such as Flagyl.
They were taking it to help improve their overall general health and no other reason. Basically they saw it on TV or in a bogus magazine and started buying boxes of the stuff. My grandma even put it on the cancer spots on my grandpa's head and surprise surprise it didn't do anything and he still had to have them burned off at the doctor's office.

They eat plenty of natural probiotics from yogurt etc.

Why bring up antibiotics? People don't take them if they don't need them. Silver products aren't sold only to those who have diseases, they're sold to everyone simply to promote good health etc. Its a crock.
10-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Remicade had an add on tv. It also made me sick.
Remicade has scientific research and studies. Silver products don't end of story.
10-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
Cbail

You're right, it's way overblown I agree. I bring up antibiotics because it is an accepted medical treatment for Crohn's and UC and one of the first things my GI prescribed me when I was diagnosed.
10-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #25
Cbail

Remicade has scientific research and studies. Silver products don't end of story.
Silver products do have research and have been around longer. Just do a search on Pubmed. My mother, a wound ostomy and continents nurse uses many FDA approved silver products in the hospital including the ER and Burn center.
10-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #26
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Burn center? That's outside of the body. Drinking it is another matter. I did research it and that's why I told my grandparents to stop taking it yet only one did so only one got better.
10-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Cbail

Correct it is. I'm just showing an example that it is accepted as antimicrobial in the medical community and does have scientific research behind it. Drinking it is an alternative therapy which I see you're totally against and I totally respect that. If I could have remission from a biologic like you I would def have stayed with that treatment. Thats awesome.
10-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
yeah the weird thing is biologics and collidol silver both didn't help me for some reason I felt horrible on remicade and then when i tried natural therapies with collidol silver I felt the same as on remicade tired flu like symptoms more bm"s and D then stopped the collidol silver and felt better
10-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #29
Cbail

I think you may have just experienced the Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction which was originally noted with the first use of antibiotics for the treatment of syphilis. If you do decide to try it again, stick with it and your reaction will eventually subside. A number of patients I spoke to who are on the RMAT therapy have terrible reactions at first, but then said they experienced remission. If our disease is viral, it will take a long course of some type of anti-biotic to rid the body completely.
10-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #30
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
Yeah thanks but I will stay away from it for now
Closed Thread