Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Swimming after fistulotomy

09-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
annak87

Swimming after fistulotomy

hi everyone..it has been FOREVER since I've posted and I wish I could say it's because I've been 100% healthy but that is definitely not the case..I'm still dealing with the same 2 perianal fistulas..in March I saw a new surgeon at UPMC who came from Mayo so she was highly recommended..she performed two surgeries since then..the most recent was a fistulotomy in April..everything went well with it..she's had to reopen and drain mini-abscesses twice in the office and we're also dealing with a healing issue in general..they assume it's because I'm on Remicade but the wound is STILL OPEN and draining..I recently told my friends that the day I can quit using bandages, we're having a legit party..

anyway..after that quick update - my actual question..I saw there was a thread regarding swimming but the user wasn't having any drainage..I'm leaving this weekend for a few weeks at the beach and as I said, I'm still having drainage and the wound is still open..what are everyone's thoughts on the ocean, pool, hot tub if that's all still going on down there?..should I be okay?..avoid bodies of water?..call my surgeon to just ask?..any opinions are really appreciated : )
09-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Avw

My Support Groups:
While I would check with my surgeon first to be on the safe side... I can tell you that after approximately 5 procedures within a couple of months, and having actively draining setons, I went to the beach in Trinidad for a week with no problems. The ocean water actually healed them some and gave relief. I still do not swim in pools because I don't want to risk any more infections on top of the abscesses I already have. I did take a few quick dips in the pool with the kids, and successfully bathed in what some would consider a third world country, with no problems... Although I would avoid the hot tub, I've always heard they're a breeding ground for bacteria and what not. But, once again, check with your doctor to be sure!

Best of luck and enjoy your vacation!!

Previous Medications:
Every oral medication,
Remicade,
Humira,
Cimzia, etc..

Currently Taking:
LDN 3 mg
VSL #3
Prednisone 10 mg
Flagyl 1000 mg
Entocort
Protonix
Xanax as needed

Insurance still rejecting appeals for Stem Cell Transplant. Tested positive for JCV Antibody so Tysabri is not an option. Searching for matches in Cord Blood Registry and working with an attorney to fight insurance company. Fingers and toes crossed!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Swimming after fistulotomy