• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In need of major advice

This is my first post ever on any forum. I was diagnosed w/ Crohns 4 yrs ago and I am now a 28 yr old female.
I'm having the worst flare since I was diagnosed. The problem is my health ins. was switched because I forgot to pay my premium! :cry: So now I only have 3 days of my Asacol left.
I have already missed a week of work. I'm in the bar business so I don't get any sick days. The Asacol costs $900 a month with no ins. oh no excuse $700 if you are not covered & paying cash or credit card. :ybatty:

So my question is what can I do w/out my Asacol that I relied on for several yrs?!
I have not had a real meal in over 3 weeks! I started drinking one ensure plus a day & lots of water. I just have the worst pain after I consume anything except water. I have been taking Fish Oil (on & off), b12 & womens 1 a day for several yrs. I just started taking Papaya enzyme chewables & marshmallow root today. :sign0085:
I have yet to go all into the all natural way.
I am at my wits end! I lost 8 lbs this week and a total of 12 in 2 weeks. I'm short so that's a lot for me!
Any advice is appreciated
thanks

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Do a google search for low income or free health clinics for your area. Nevermind, I did it for you: http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf?_function=list&state=ma Hopefully you can find a place in your area and they may be able to write you another prescription and do further testing to see if that's even the best med for you. You can still continue to go "all natural" later once you get your health managed better.

Asacol has a generic form (Mesalamine) so be sure to get that instead. Also check out this thread: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=37491

I noticed that you are in Massachusetts. Why haven't you applied for Mass Health? I think if you can't get on that for free (income too high or too many assets) then you can go on one of their health plans. I live in Massachusetts. We have a very liberal healthcare system. Take advantage of it now before it all changes after the election!!! I'm not on it - we are fortunate to do ok but I have helped a few friends navigate.

Good luck