• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How many days did it take for Humira to work for you?

M

manatee

I started Humira one week ago and am still not sure if it is working. At one point I thought it was working, but today seemed like one of my typical Crohn's day before I started this. :(

So, I really can't say for sure if it is working.

To anyone who has tried Humira, do you remember how long it took to start working?

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I noticed an improvement starting on day 6, then quickly improving every day after that. It lasted 4 months then kinda started to quit.
I've heard it can take up to 3 months though.

M

manatee

mike said:
I noticed improvement in the first week. I started a week and a half ago and I feel pretty good, not great but much better.
Ok, I think I might be improving. This is about day 10 for me and think it might be working.

Any luck?

M

manatee

I think it's starting to work and then it seems Humira is doing nothing... I've done my first 4 shots, 2 shots in week two and will be doing my maintenance shot 1 week from today. So, looks like it's been about a month so far.

To be continued...

I just took my first dose yesterday....four shots in the tummy. It definitely wasn't as bad as I was expecting and I've got my fingers crossed that it works for me!

I'm on humira almost 3 years now, but I thought it worked fairly fast, within the first week.

I was on Infliximab (I'm not sure, but do you call it something different over the pond, I've never seen anyone mention it?) before that but got a seizure during the infusion so then he put me on humira.

It could have been that I was still riding high from the infliximab.

M

manatee

I'm not feeling very optimistic about Humira.... think I would have seen a fairly significant improvement by now. Maybe it will kick in someday soon.

Ugh.... this disease really sucks. :(

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
danman said:
I was on Infliximab (I'm not sure, but do you call it something different over the pond, I've never seen anyone mention it?) before that but got a seizure during the infusion so then he put me on humira.
That's our Remicade over here.

What is the focus of Humira What does it replace, and what does it do. I have heard of it through joint issues, but its still new. right? OH hell I know shit about Humira. Ive been in remission for the past 5 years. Please school me.

My Butt Hurts said:
That's our Remicade over here.
Thats explains a lot.
I found it very good, but like I said I got a seizure while getting an infusion.
I felt like my head was going to explode and I couldn't breath.

As I said, I've been on Humira almost 3 years, and no side effects that I can report.... touch wood.

Last edited:
manatee said:
I started Humira one week ago and am still not sure if it is working. At one point I thought it was working, but today seemed like one of my typical Crohn's day before I started this. :(

So, I really can't say for sure if it is working.

To anyone who has tried Humira, do you remember how long it took to start working?

Took me almost 12 weeks before I felt the effects and boy did I ever.
My body went threw a bad reaction...... hair loss in gobs and gobs,my teeth
were aching everyday,and the biggest reaction was not being able to breathe.
I thought that maybe I had to exercise more....WRONG. It was the humira
Soon as I stopped injecting myself I could breathe again.Lets just say I got
my second wind back..LOL What a scary feeling!

I have been on Humira for 5 weeks now and have seen no improvements. Just spent 4 days in hospital as symptoms were so bad. I'm still optimistic that it will start working soon. Wow! 12 weeks TammySue, I hope I don't have to wait that long! My GI told me that I should have seen some changes within 4 weeks?

Hi Everyone,

I've been on Humira for about 3 months now. I have two peri-anal fistulae with one seton placed by surgery in November. How do I know if the Humira is healing? My doctor said we should be able to get the seton out in 2 months. Any thoughts? Advice? Thank you in advance.

The fistulae were the only symptom. I don't know how to tell if they are better other than physician exam. Is that right?

theOcean

It's impossible for your fistula to heal with a seton in no matter what medication you're on. Once it stops draining you can get the seton removed and then you can see if Humira will heal it.