• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice for my uncle please?

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask a bit of advice for my uncle who is completley computer illiterate! (can't spell illiterate!) His story basically is he has U.C and Crohns disease currently on Azathioprine and steroids. The doctors have told him he needs to have a colectomy and they want to remove his rectum and anal canal which will leave him with an ileostomy? He went to see a stoma nurse pre surgery who informed him he would have to change his bag up to four times a day and at least once in the night. Is this correct for all people who have a bag? He is having second thoughts about the surgery now as he didn't realise how different life would be with a stoma. He (and I) tbh thought it would be a new bag every morning, empty before bed? Are we deluded?? any advice would be greatly appreciated as the docs said he will only see the stoma nurse again post surgery. He really feels he doesn't know enough about it all yet and has really been put off the big op
Catherine xxxx

David

Co-Founder
Hi Catherine,

Welcome to the community! I'm so sorry to hear about your Uncle :(

Angrybird directed you to the right place though!

Out of curiosity, has he tried a biologic medication such as Remicade or Humira? If not, what's going on with him where they're skipping to colectomy?