Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Cimzia and 6MP together?

09-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
mugsymagoos

My Support Groups:
Cimzia and 6MP together?

Hello!

My 17 year old daughter just started this combination of drugs for her Crohn's. Has anyone else taken these two together?

Thanks for any info!!
09-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
David
Co-Founder

I've seen occasional mentions by people that they're on Cimzia AND 6-mp or Azathioprine such as this one, but not too many. But it's not uncommon for those to be used with biologics. As I'm sure you were told, the combination of the two can increase the chances of some side effects.

More than anything, are you wanting anecdotes of how people have done on the combination of the two? Or is there other specific information you're looking for?
09-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
buttons

My Support Groups:
I just take 6PM and it works wonders for me. I've been in remission for about four or so years but I do not take Cimzia. I am getting kind of sick again but that may be due to another illness.

I'm not a doctor but from my personal body, I was allergic to the generic brand of 6PM so I have to get the official brand if that makes any sense.
09-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Adam1971
Forum Monitor

I've seen occasional mentions by people that they're on Cimzia AND 6-mp or Azathioprine such as this one, but not too many. But it's not uncommon for those to be used with biologics. As I'm sure you were told, the combination of the two can increase the chances of some side effects.
David- what increases re: side effects with combined biologics and aza/6mp?

dx Crohn's in TI March 2012

Surgery on Dec. 11th, 2012-Ileocolic resection

Remission since surgery- a true blessing
09-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Keepingfaith

I'm on Cimzia & a high dose of Sulfasalazine which is pretty much the same as Aza/Imuran/6MP. I'm also on a host of other meds that I need to add to my list below. I'm 16 & have been fine. My bloodwork's good other than some Anemia
Entyvio
Prilosec
Protonix
Seasonique
Noritriptyline
Steroid suppositories
Canasa suppositories

Diet: Feeding via J-tube

DX: Crohn's Disease, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Endometriosis, Gastroparesis

Previous Medications:
Remicade- Drug Induced Lupus, Humira, Prednisone,
Entocort, 6MP, Methorexate, Amitriptyline, Asacol, Flagyl, Apriso, Cimzia, Cipro, Sulfasalazine etc. You name it, I've tried it.
09-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
David
Co-Founder

David- what increases re: side effects with combined biologics and aza/6mp?
Lymphoma and susceptibility to certain infections is what comes to mind first. They're very rare though.

I'm on Cimzia & a high dose of Sulfasalazine which is pretty much the same as Aza/Imuran/6MP.
You know I think you are amazing but I have to disagree that Sulfasalazine is pretty much the same as the thiopurines. They're vastly different.
09-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Keepingfaith

@ David : Well Ive seen 4 doctors this past week telling me completely different stories. Ive been flaring FOR EVER & I'm trying to avoid surgery & that permanent Prednisone Dose & everytime they write me out a script & then see I'm on Sulfasalazine they TAKE THE SCRIPT FOR 6MP/AZA/METHO ETC. & rip it UP. Literally. In my face. Several times. Because they should never be used together, it's too much for my body & they're practically the same.

Sorry but I can't argue with 4 docs vs guy on the internet
09-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
David
Co-Founder

You must be misinterpreting what your doctors are saying then. As Sulfasalazine is basically mesalamine and 6-mp, azathioprine, and Imuran are thiopurines. They are completely different. They are probably concerned about this type of interaction. Mesalamine is known to increase 6-TGN (a thiopurine metabolite) levels. This can be bad, or it can be good depending on your levels.

And methotrexate is something different still
09-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
ThanksP

I have to agree with David, they are not the same drug, not similar. It is part of the 5 ASA drug class, similar to Asacol, Apriso, Mesalamine, Lialda, etc. 6MP is in a completely different drug class. Perhaps the doctors won't prescribe 6MP to you for a different reason.

In response to "Mugsy", I was on Cimzia and 6MP for quite some time. They put me on the 6MP when the Cimzia stopped working. The 6MP did nothing positive for me, although everyone is different. In fact, it dropped my WBC so low that every time I left my home, I would get a fever. I stopped both drugs and switched to Remicade. I've been in remission since doing so.
09-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Keepingfaith

Either way, Mugsy, I wish your daughter the best & although there are risks, like cancer, it is very rare & predominately seen in males.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Cimzia and 6MP together?