• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello everyone

Hey everyone. I am 23 years old. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease back in 2008, shortly before turning eighteen if memory serves me correctly.

My first symptom was a rather nasty anal fistula which after an extremely painful rupture caused me two totally unnecessary surgeries. Nobody could figure out the problem and me, being sick of anal leakage due to incontinence and being constantly uncomfortable (all this while a senior in high school) refused to do the same surgery a third time. I was directed to my current doctor who attempted dosage of Pentasa and 6mp. Eventually Remicade found my way and I entered remission by 2010. Two years without medication or symptoms (thinking I was superman, not doing anything about my condition) Crohn's reared it's ugly head. I had a relatively small flare up, but enough to see my GI over. Another Colonoscopy and MRI lead to discovery of active inflammation. The last three months have been the worst since my diagnosis. I am currently on 6MP and will begin remicade again next week. Just want it to all go away. I've lost twenty-five to thirty pounds (currently 6" tall and 160 pounds!) in the last three months and have been taking extra strength tylenol to personally combat the pain. I find that cannabis (not used for recreational purposes) eases the symptoms on a day to day basis. I just want a regular course of treatment that keeps me in remission. Maybe this time I'll stay on the remicade :whistleinnocently:

Been a long time reader of the forum, figured I'd register for the occasional post or input. Hello all!

Last edited:

Angrybird

Hello Glenn and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling poorly again, from reading here you will know that this is great place for lots of helpful info and support. I will be keeping fingers crossed that the meds can get things settled again for you, out of interest what dosage of the 6mp have you been put on?

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hey there Glenn. Thank you for joining and sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear that the Crohn's disease have come back with a vengeance :( I hope that the Remicade puts it back into remission, and quickly!

We're here for you anytime you need us :)

Well I got the PPD, negative of course. Then the doctor that does the infusions wants an office visit....got that done. Then they want a chest xray to follow up prior to the infusion, doing that Tuesday. My appointment isn't until the following tuesday for remicade. I love being made to wait when I stress I am having a long-term active flare up (it's been now almost 2 months of a consistent, long flare up - I'm going insane with pain).

So frustrating. It's like I'm second on the list to somebody else. It's also depressing to always be the youngest one in the office! Everyone else around me is always in their 50's and 60's, haha.