Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Methotrexate » How long does methotrexate take to kick in?

09-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Elizabethh

How long does methotrexate take to kick in?

I've been on methotrexate for about 3 months and I have noticed no changes. How long does it take to work?
09-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
kromom1

My Support Groups:
I'd like to know, too. I just took my 4th dose and have also noticed no changes yet.

Diagnoses: Crohn's 8/07; steroid-induced diabetes 11/07; Remicade-induced Lupus 02/09, shingles 7/10, and hypothyroidism.
Medications: Entyvio, Methotrexate, prednisone, Protonix, Synthroid, fish oil, calcium, multivitamin, glimepiride. Failed Pentasa, Entocort, Humira, Imuran, 6-MP, Remicade, Tysabri, and LDN.
10-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Scaryman
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My dr. Put me on MTX one month prior to me starting humira with MTX. Could be 1 month to be therapeutic, but I think they monitor with labs. Hope that helps.
Remicade- failed with infusion reaction.
Mesalamine-another failure
Entecourt - fail- no help.
currently on Methotrexate 25mg and Humira combo.
Folic Acid Supplement
Hyclosomine,Ultram,vicoden for pain as needed
Extended right Hemocolectomy 5/24/13 Univ.Of Chicago
11/7/13- small crohns ulcer at surgical site (active).
10-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
shazzy

I would like to know too. I have been on it for 4weeks now ,pain is a little better some days and not so good other days : ( Getting me down .
10-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Scaryman
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think it might be individualized. I just know the doc wanted me on MTx for a month prior to humira. To prep immune system. You notice any side effects?
10-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
KayleighMeek
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hello,
I am on methotrexate and it's deffinatley been the longest to take effect for me it took 3-4 months and extra steroids to start working. I hope it starts working for you all soon x
10-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
shazzy

Hi All,

I have had no side effects as yet.. but some of them are a little worrying . I just seem to have no energy at all .
10-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
cmci

My Support Groups:
I'm sure when I first started Methotrexate they told me it can take about 3 months to become effective, but I was already on Infliximab by that point and feeling better, so I dunno when the methotrexate took effect with me personally
10-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Scaryman
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wonder why my doc said methotrexate for 1 month before starting humira. I was thinking 1 month. But that seems to not be the case.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Methotrexate » How long does methotrexate take to kick in?