Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Nose/Sinuses » Got a cold, ended up on 6 days of pred - rant

09-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
vanilla_chai

Got a cold, ended up on 6 days of pred - rant

I managed to catch a cold a few weeks ago, it turned into an ear infection - both inner and outer. Tried drops, that only held it at bay, was given amoxicilin 3xs a day for 7 days. Day 6 still felt crummy, Dr took one look at my sinuses and asked how my crohns was. Apparently everything in my head is swollen. So now I have 3 more days of amoxicilin and a 6 day dose of prednisone, on top of the nasonex and Claritin.

Apparently my immune system's mantra is why fight germs when you can just cause general havoc? Great job immune system

Still not the worst reaction to a cold. Last one I caught ended when I started puking from a blockage.

Oh well, just wanted to rant

sent from my phone using taptalk
09-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
JudithC

My Support Groups:
HI vanilla.....Woke up with a cold this morning, full head, sinus, sore throat...the whole thing. Should I call Dr. or let it ride for a few days. I'm not sure how my immune system will deal with this.

now:
Remicade
Vitamin D
Vitamin C

tried:
Entocort
Pentasa
Prednisone
09-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
vanilla_chai

Good morning Judith, I'm sorry to hear about your cold. I'd try to not worry and just see how things go. I have no idea how normal this is. I've always had allergies and always had great resistance to colds, but once I catch something its often bad... as far as the blockage last year, I always get the "OK, what ever say say" look when I talk about having a killer cold that went away when the blockage symptoms started. What it seemed to be was my immune system ramped up and it set off some inflammation at my structure. I later got a pill can stuck and those things are pretty small so I suspect it didn't take a lot of swelling to get me in trouble

Maybe others can share if they have had any other problems

The other reason to just take it easy till you feel its not normal is I've found going in early just gets you the "your fine, just rest" response. For me this time I waited 2 days and I knew I wasn't going to beat it, so I went in and he treated it like a mild ear infection BC that's all that he could see was going on. I walked away frustrated BC I knew it was beating me, took the ear drops for 3 of the 5 days he rxed, called back to say I was still miserable, they called in ammoxicilin which I took for 6 of the 7 days but still felt like I was trudging through knee deep sand, just really dragging so I went back in. That's when he looked st my sinuses and had me do 3 more days of amoxicilin plus the prednisone and nasonex

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and I'd love to hear if anyone else has problems with colds getting out of had, BC I'm not terribly happy with my body right now

Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Nose/Sinuses » Got a cold, ended up on 6 days of pred - rant