• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My body is against me.

Hi, my name is Brenda and I'm 19 and I was diagnosed with IBD about 6 months ago. This whole disease is just horrible, not only is it gross, which I have mostly gotten over, but I am sometimes in so much pain and discomfort after going to the toilet that I just curl into a ball and wait for it to pass. Also lately I have been waking up at 2 and 5am having to run to the toilet and I'm missing out on quite a lot of sleep, the dark circles under my eyes are pretty bad.

How do people cope? Sometimes I just can't help but think how unfair it is that a nice 19 year old girl has this disease when some murderer or pedophile is out there completely healthy. How do people stay positive? Also should I try to see my doctor about something to help me sleep? Or will I just poop myself if I don't get up to go to the bathroom when my body wakes me to?

Angrybird

Hello Brenda and welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment :(

What IBD do you have? What meds have you been put on? How often are you seeing your doc and are they aware of the ongoing problems you are experiencing? Has any type of dietary changes been mentioned to you?

It may seek unlikely now but with right treatment regime it is possible to feel well again. There is just so much to learn and take in and unfortunately there can be some trial and error involved with getting on the right meds. You have come to the right place though for lots of helpful info and support so do have a good look around and anything you are not sure on the do not hesitate to ask or check out our wiki info pages.

Sending lots of best wishes to you.

AB
xx

Thanks, pretty sure it's ulcerative colitis, and I have been prescribed colifoam which I haven't used in a bit :S I need to get a new prescription and salazopyrin. I've been given no dietary recommendations nor have I noticed that if I eat more or less of any type of food it will get better or worse. Haha sometimes I avoid spicy food though xD

And I do have my mum and boyfriend for support, I've been with him for almost 3 years so he was there for me when I was going through everything and I didn't know what I had. So I'm pretty lucky in that sense.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Brenda and welcome. I'm sorry you're having a tough time of it :(

If you're having that much trouble still, I suggest talking with your doctor about changing your medication in an effort to get you into remission. You deserve to feel well again and sometimes in takes awhile to find the treatment regimen that is right for you.

As for dietary recommendations. I'm personally a fan of the paleo diet and specific carbohydrate diet for people with IBD. They're not perfect for everyone but they do appear to help some people reduce their symptoms quite a bit.

I wish you all the best!