• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Human blender!

Hello everyone!

My story....
In the early speing of this year i noticed I was having some bowel issues...at first i thought i had eaten something that maybe did not agree with me, which is unusual because im a tank and nothing ever affects my stomach. I waited a bit, thought maybe I had some kind of a flu or bug....but these issues did not get better nor did they go away. I went and got checked out and was sent for a really superfun scope....yay scope!
The day of my scope, after the procedure was done the nurse at the docs office hands me a prescription just like that.....i did not get to see the doc after the procedure to discuss what he had found or what this prescription was for, the nurse wasnt much help either. so i took my prescription went online did some research and figured well i guess it cant hurt to try it out. Tried the prescription for less than 3 weeks, and then spent a week in the worst pain of my life. Around this time I hadnt been eating much and I was dropping weight as well. Just overall i was unwell. I assumed the pain was a crohns flare up in action but at the same time wondered if it was the medication. so i stopped taking the meds and made a doc appointment. doc just put me back on the meds but increased the dose.....a short time later i found myself back in pain again....and then a trip to the hospital and i had pancreatitis due to the meds....

After the pancreatitis episode the doctor took me off the meds and told me he wasnt going to give me another prescription, just to try going without any. which is fine with me im not big on meds anyways....however i still have some crohns issues.....i would say my issues are probably mild in the crohns scale but at the same time would like to know what to do about them to prevent them getting worse and causing further damage to my bowels, also let it be known that im determined to ifnd a way to not be a human poop machine because its ridiculous and none of us should have to deal with it!

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

Am I understanding correctly that you are formally diagnosed with Crohn's disease but your doctor isn't going to put you on any other medications because you didn't do well with mesalamine?

If that is correct, please find a new doctor.

Again, welcome! I'm glad you found your way here.

I agree with David. There are so many other options out there to treat CD. Find a new dr ASAP. There is no reason for you to be suffering because he does not want to do his job. :ghug:

Welcome to the forum and there is actually a sub section dedicated to treatment options.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

here is one on diet options as well that has helped since you mentioned that you are not big on meds.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=32036

hope this helps and you find relief soon.

THanks for the replies! As far as finding another doc....i live in a small city....docs are hard to come by especially those that specialize in certain areas so i really dont have any options as far as getting another doc

as far as the suffering goes, its not to horrible, i would classify my crohns as mild, i dont get any pain, the only symptom i really have is well my bowel movements lol, but who knows one day this could change and the pain might show up?

David

Co-Founder
Is there a larger city within reasonable driving distance? I've read countless anecdotes here and not one ended well when the person wasn't managing their disease properly. Your current symptoms are due to inflammation in your intestines. Think of that inflammation as a smoldering fire. You want to put that fire out before it turns into an inferno.

Yes, i know to well the fire that is crohns! My father has crohns, he spent a lot of time in his younger days very very sick. As far as other cities being close enough to seek treatments there, closest is 3 hours away driving....and well I dont have a vehicle, so would be difficult to try and arrange that......
oy!