• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

7 day detox

Hello!! I am new to the site :) I got diagnosed with Crohn's disease a couple months ago...I'm just kinda researching for myself and found this book the 7 day detox miracle...So i want to do the detox for a couple reasons, i know its not going to "cure" me, but it doesnt seem like it will hurt me any....I was just curious what people thought about going off your meds for a little bit to do it? I've never been sick before, just really the normal stuff up until recent...so i dont know much about meds...i just know doing a detox while on prescription medication seems pointless. It seems scary to just stop the medication tho too...any advice? thanks :D

keep the faith

Leelee

David

Co-Founder
If the book suggests to people to go off their meds to do it without looking at their entire clinical picture, that's all I need to know to know it's a really bad book.

Welcome to the community by the way :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have no advice on the detox other than to be careful and listen to your body (sounds bogus to me). However I have gone off all meds before and many other members on the forum have as well and the general consensus seems to be that its a bad idea because it usually results in starting a flare or making a current one worse.

Welcome to the forum! :D

Gianni

Hi Lucy,

First off Welcome to the Forum!

What kind of detox is it? I decided to discontinue my medication when i did a 10 day juice fast at the beginning of the year. I felt great after doing my juice fast and I'm glad to say I never returned to my medication after that. The juice fast helped place me into remission (along with a vegan diet) and i've been there ever since. However everyone is different and even though it worked for me does not mean it will necessarily work for you. Ultimately it is your decision, i took a leap of faith and it paid off but others have taken the same leap and have fallen hard. If you do decide to discontinue your meds make sure you listen to your body carefully.

All the best,

Gianni

David

Co-Founder
Taking it a step further, if you want to discontinue your medications, please discuss the idea with your doctor first as some meds out there cannot be quit cold turkey.

its called the 7 day detox miracle and its basically like the first couple days is water and lemon juice than minerals and herbs are added than like a macrobiotic diet towards the end...its just a good thing to do from time to time wether or not your sick...but like i said it seems dumb to do a detox while your on prescription medication cause thats the stuff you need to be detoxing...i've been vegan for almost a year now and i juice like 2 times a week...i just get so confused cause some people say not to eat raw veggies and some people say going vegan and raw has helped them lol...i guess im just one of those people with Crohn's who believes its gotta be this crappy american diet thats making people diseased...its just hard to know what route to take get out of the mess you put yourself in i suppose. i will definately call my doctor before i stop taking them to make sure its okay to just stop! thank you guys for the input!!!! i love this website, its great to see everyone support eachother :)

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Welcome to the Forum LucyLee,
I dont know exactly what meds you are on but if Prednisone is one of them it is VERY VERY bad to quit cold turkey. It can take quite a long time to taper off your Prednisone depending on your dose and how long you have been on it. Please seek your drs advice before going off your meds. You can actually have a fatal reaction from going off your Prednisone too quickly.
Welcome and please keep us updated. :)

Gianni

Hi again lucy,

I am glad to hear you are vegan and too think that the american diet is what has caused the illness. I believe through diet just about anything can be cured. As for the raw veggies, It is EXTREMELY important to keep up on high fiber as it helps clear out your gut of harmful bacteria and cleared in general so you can better assimilate nutrients. Now fiber and crohns is a touchy subject. In cases where extreme inflammation is present, raw veggies should be avoided but when in relative remission it is extremely important to keep intake of raw vegetation high.

Gianni